Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
1 year smoke free...a question
Vicdeeone posted:
Would you believe on Father Day it will be a year!!(I did it partially for my 31 yr old son, He had never asked me before) I'm a 61 woman who smoked (non stop) almost 2 packs a day, for over 47 years. Loved to smoke, weird huh? Then I had a stroke and that changed everything... Bummer .Dr .said smoking is the #1 reason people have strokes. Within 2 months I decided I wanted to live, and I just quit. I went cold turkey. It was so much easier than I thought it would be. When I get hard cravings, all I do is take a couple of deeep breaths, pretending I'm taking a deep drag. The craving ususlly vanishes in less than a minute. Really! My question is this. When I smoked I was RARELY sick. But after I quit it's been one thing after another, Mostly chest congestin (not much when I smoked) The cronic coughing is making me crazy. Why now? I can rarely cough up phlem, but when I do, it's dark grayish brown, like I was smoking!!! I'm weezing too, Went to dr. twice and she said "just wait" it out the first time. Two weeks later, "whooping cough" and antibiotics said the doctor. I've done what I'm supposed to do, and I still bave this cough. It's been more than a month..Have you ever heard of people who suddenly get sick AFTER we quit smoking. Don't worry, I have no intention of going backward and starting smoking again. My experience with the stroke (not a bad one, but noticeble) and my stopping smoking (I still can't believe it) If there is a Power greater
than myself, well it has certainly been performming little Miracles on me, because I'm pretty sure I don't have this much strength on my own.

Featuring Experts

Jonathan Foulds, PhD. is a Professor of Public Health Sciences at Penn State University, College of Medicine. After obtaining a first class honors deg...More

Helpful Tips

Caffeine and smoking cessationExpert
Many visitors to this site have commented on the close association between smoking and caffeine consumption, most commonly involving ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 19 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.