Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Quit Smoking Injections
kittyluvr400 posted:
New here. Looking for anyone familiar with the injections they use to quit smoking. I am not new to this precedure, having done it twice before, and will be doing it again tomorrow morning (June 29). Just wondering if anyone has ever tried it and how it worked for you......or maybe someone out there has never heard of it and well.........now you have.

It worked for me the first time I did it. I quit for 5 weeks and it was very easy. The only reason I picked up that first cigarette after 5 weeks was simple, stupid, weakness. Felt a craving and just didn't feel like dealing with it. My sis was living with me and she smoked, so it was tooooo easy to just go for it. It will hopefully be different this time, as there will be no smokers in the house, so if I weaken, I am on my own.

The 2nd time I did it, something just wasn't right in my head. It was like going to a hypnotist and telling yourself I can't be hypnotised. I walked out of the office after the shot and actually lit the cigarette immediately. Obviously I was not at all serious about it that time.

This time it is a financial issue and money problems will really ease up if I weren't buying cigs. I live in NY and the price of cigs is like 10 bucks a pack. I was going to the Indian reservations to get them (tax free, saving tons of money), but they had to finally give in to charging tax. I cannot see paying upwards of 10 bucks a pack, so I am going into this pretty seriously.

I am searching for message boards (active ones) tonight, as they can be so supportive when needed. Hoping to get some thoughts, feedback, or just questions from others regarding the injections. It just helps to talk about it. These injections can only be given by a qualified doctor, and are pretty much similiar with the Chantix........same results.......they block the nicotine receptors and relieve you of the craving for nicotine. But the work is basically dealing with the whole mental aspect, which is hard enough in itself.

So my Quit Meter tells me right now that I will be a non-smoker in 11 hours, 28 minutes.

O-M-G

Once you get the shot (yes, it does hurt!) you will be basically pretty loopy.......ok.......basically pretty wasted. Since I am getting it done in the morning, I figure I will go home and just go to sleep. I don't expect much/if any sleep tonight, as I am too wound up with anxiety. I remember the worst part of this is the dry mouth. THAT is nasty. So I will have plenty of watermelon cut up and ready to go for the next few weeks. I will also have to wear that little scopoline (sp??) patch behind my ear for several weeks (the kind you wear if you have motion sickness on a boat), and that also gives you a very dry mouth. Lots and lots of watermelon....

Sorry this was so long and I hope I didn't scare anyone away from reading it.........just nervous energy right now and whoever has read this far, I apologize, as you were my victim.

OK, I will shut up now..........and if you are curious about it, reply to this and I will tell you how it went tomorrow morning. Sigh....11 hrs, 19 minutes and counting. (courtesy of the Silk Quit Meter)

Featuring Experts

Jonathan Foulds, PhD. is a Professor of Public Health Sciences at Penn State University, College of Medicine. After obtaining a first class honors deg...More

Helpful Tips

What might work for those who have tried everything?Expert
Many smokers feel they have already tried everything…..cold turkey, hypnosis, patches, acupuncture…..but still find they are smoking ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 17 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.