Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Has my husband really quit?
NANAK4879 posted:
My husband has told me that he has quit smoking and for the most part I believe him. The only thing that leaves me questioning is that his breath still smells faintly of smoke. It's been less than a month. I have mentioned it to him and he swears that he has not been smoking. Could it be that the crap in his lungs is present and causing this? If so how long could this last? I know he can be coughing stuff up for as long as 9 months after he has quit. Or is my husband secretly still smoking? I would really appreciate if anyone could help me out and give me some advice. Thanks!!

BreeaM responded:
Hello,

I have quit and then started smoking and quit again multiple times in my current relationship. Each time I quit, I tell my boyfriend that I quit and then, when I start again and SWEAR that I haven't. The reason for this is that I would get really embarrassed and feel as if I was letting my partner down by smoking again, especially because he was so happy and congratulatory when I quit. I'm not saying that your husband has started smoking again, but this is why I would lie about it.

Also, I'm assuming that you're a non-smoker so it's hard to describe the illusion of freedom that comes along with smoking. As in, if you're in a situation that you need a break from you simply say you need to smoke, versus saying that you can't stand being in the same room anymore. Or, you have a problem at work that's truly vexing you and instead of admitting defeat, you decide that you simply need a smoke break.

Regardless of whether your husband starting smoking again, try to remember that quitting smoking is a physical and deeply rooted emotional connection that is exceptionally hard to break. As with all addictions, the desire to quit has to come solely from within or it won't stick. So try to be kind to your husband and let him know you're there if he wants to talk, but stop asking him if he's started again.

Hope that helps!
Breea

Featuring Experts

Jonathan Foulds, PhD. is a Professor of Public Health Sciences at Penn State University, College of Medicine. After obtaining a first class honors deg...More

Helpful Tips

What are the characteristics of effective smoking cessation treatment?Expert
Many smokers who have tried unsuccessfully to quit smoking on their own start to consider seeking help to quit. Of course a quick internet ... More
Was this Helpful?
19 of 21 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.