Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
smoking for life
jolene783 posted:
hi i am a smoker and i cant seem to get the energy to stop its like loosing a friend for 35 years i need bariatric surgery to help with my other conditions but i cant stop smoking i am taking chantix for a week but i need to be clean by the 25 any suggestions please i need help

Jonathan Foulds, PhD responded:
Main advice is to keep trying. You mention lacking the energy to stop. How about making sure you have no tobacco in the house, then it will take energy to start up? Hopefully the other tips people have given on this forum can also help. best of luck and please share how it turns out for you.

leenew replied to Jonathan Foulds, PhD's response:
thats good advice get rid of all the cigarettes in the house it makes it easier and stay busy to get your mind off of smoking its the hardest thing i have did in my life and i smoked for over 40 yrs but i have been smoke free for 6 months now hang in there it gets a little easier every day and keep thinking about all the money u are saving that really helps

barbhurts replied to leenew's response:
I quit smoking and stay away from cigs for about 1-2 years, then I find myself wanting a cig so bad. Before I know it, I've bummed a cig from someone and I'm back at it. What can I do to stop for good. This past year I've had pneumonia twice, the drs thought I had COPD, but turned out just effects of the pneumonia. Please give me some ideas about how to quit forever. I'm truly an off again, on again, smoker.

Shysnana13 responded:
How you doing with this? ps You are not a smoker, you are a person who is addicted to smoking.

Featuring Experts

Jonathan Foulds, PhD. is a Professor of Public Health Sciences at Penn State University, College of Medicine. After obtaining a first class honors deg...More

Helpful Tips

quit smoking
This is my first day no cigarette. not to say I would love to have one but I keep putting my mind in other areas and do something with my ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 7 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.