Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Picturing 30,000
Midlife87339 posted:
Tonight, I was soon expecting this amazing stat on my SilkQuit quit counter, but I am still "grokking" at it: 30,000. That is, in the 5-plus year of my quit, I have avoided lighting up, then having piled at my feet the ugly butts of 30,000 sickarettes.

Now, to keep me humble, I still have plenty of bad habits and am pretty remiss on exercise. I am far from smug.

But still, I am for one thing picturing the black grime 30,000 of the things would have inflicted on my poor lungs and also feeling thankful that primarily because of this message board, I was able to keep my quit (after a lot of false starts). Oh, and last but not least, I can smell all the wonderful fragrances the natural world has to offer once again, e.g., the basil plants in containers on my deck from some paces away.

Thank-you, thank-you, thank-you again to all of my life-saving helpers here!

-Mary the Cat Lady

Five years, five months, three weeks, two days, 2 hours, 31 minutes and 10 seconds. 30001 cigarettes not smoked, saving $7,125.23. Life saved: 14 weeks, 6 days, 4 hours, 5 minutes.

Chris_WebMD_Staff responded:
Mary you are awesome!
Congrats on quitting and still managing to keep some of the other bad habits as I have done!
That made me laugh out loud!
I have quit for 21 years now. I'm am so done, I'll never go back to smoking again, or ummm exercise. :)

You go girl! I'm so glad you shared that with us.

Jonathan Foulds, PhD responded:
Congratulations Mary, thats a great achievement. I'm sure your cats are pleased about it too!

Thetryik responded:
I am so very proud of you! Thank you, for posting your story. It's great to read o something positive. Thank you, your hard work, commitment & dedication.

sandy0526 responded:
Mary the Cat Lady,
Way to go, I'm very impressed with your story. I, unfortunately, on the other hand have not had the success you have had. I am quite disappointed in myself and will continue to try.

It is nice to hear of someone with the stick-to-it-ness necessary to do something so difficult.

Proud of you. Enjoy the wonderful fragrances around you,

Sincerely,
Sandy0526

Featuring Experts

Jonathan Foulds, PhD. is a Professor of Public Health Sciences at Penn State University, College of Medicine. After obtaining a first class honors deg...More

Helpful Tips

What are the characteristics of effective smoking cessation treatment?Expert
Many smokers who have tried unsuccessfully to quit smoking on their own start to consider seeking help to quit. Of course a quick internet ... More
Was this Helpful?
19 of 21 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.