Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Stopepd smoking
Anon_233094 posted:
I I quit smoking cigarretes in Feb and marijuana five weeks ago. I smokeddaily for a little over 10 years.After I quit cigarretes in Feb i went 30-60 days not smoking anything. However, I went back to smoking marijuana until about five weeks ago.I have been expectorating phlegm with brown/black specs for the past month. Upon closer examination it appears to be brownish green... its is hard to tell. The majority of phlegm is clear or white. Is this normal?

I have been to several doctors and and I have had th efollowing test: blood work, chest x-ray, ct scan of chest and a pilmonary lung fucntion test. Everything cam e back normal. Doctors say my lungs are clear, my throat is clear and I do not have a fever. I do have a nasal congestion and a post nasal drip that is getting better slowly. I have been using a sinus flush for the past week.

Byroney_WebMD_Staff responded:
Congratulations Anon_233094 on being able to stop smoking everything. You're smart to check everything out with your doctors and I'm glad to hear the results came back normal.

This article on Smoking Cessation Benefits says, "After one to nine months: Cilia (tiny hairs) in the lungs regrow, increasing the lung's capacity to handle mucus, clean itself, and reduce infection. Coughing, sinus congestion, fatigue, and shortness of breath also decrease."

Keep up the good progress!

Byroney

Featuring Experts

Jonathan Foulds, PhD. is a Professor of Public Health Sciences at Penn State University, College of Medicine. After obtaining a first class honors deg...More

Helpful Tips

What are the characteristics of effective smoking cessation treatment?Expert
Many smokers who have tried unsuccessfully to quit smoking on their own start to consider seeking help to quit. Of course a quick internet ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 23 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.