Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Went a day without smoking I failed again
Queenicey26 posted:
I start my patches Monday Aug 8 2011 I really need help and support I hate smoking and tryed to quit time and time again!! I'm ready to become smoke free!!! Need help and advice!!!

phased responded:
Hi Queen! I'm new to this group, and I haven't quit yet but I've been reading through all of the quit smoking tips, etc. and despite all of the wonderful advice and ideas, my drive for quitting boils down to 3 things.
1. I'm tired of blowing my money on smokes (and gas, but thats another matter. lol) that keep getting more and more expensive.
2. I HATE the way it makes everything in my room stink, myself included. Like when you wash your hair, & it smells great .....til you light a cig and BAM. stinky hair til you wash it again. And my white clothes turn yellow from nicotine. I hate it, I hate it, I HATE IT!
3. My chest is starting to feel constricted, like its full of goo. My mom had COPD, emphysema, and all of that lovely stuff. She smoked all her life pretty much. I saw all the trouble she had from it and I'd never survive even a fraction of what she went through. (I'm a weenie when it comes to being ill in any way/shape/form.)

Other than the obvious, I don't know your reasons for quitting, but hopefully my reasons will add to your pile of "why I should quit" .....and SOON, I, too, shall be on the smoke free bandwagon!

GOOD LUCK!

PS: another way I look at it is the fact that basically after a week, the nicotine is out of your system. The rest is all in your head. I don't know about you, but once I get past the physical addiction, I be danged if I'm gonna let myself go back to doing something that I hate and is bad for me, all because of a "habit". The phrases "GET A GRIP ON YOURSELF!" and "YER NOT LIGHTING A CIG YOU IDIOT! IF YOU DO, YOU'LL HAVE TO GO THROUGH ALL THIS CRAP OVER AGAIN!" ....will most likely be yelled many times, but hey, whatever works, right?

Byroney_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hello Queenicey!

I saw that you also posted that you had bought more cigarettes and were upset with yourself. Forgive the slip-ups and keep the goal in mind. Don't let guilt drag you backwards.

Phased gave you some great support and ideas. Maybe you could write down the reasons you want to quit like Phased has, and stick those reminders up in various places. "I'm quitting because I hate smoking. I'm going to become smoke free!" and so forth.

I think like Phased also mentioned, you need to talk to yourself constantly. Check out How to Quit Smoking Today and the 13 Best Quit Smoking Tips Ever .

I'm cheering you both on!

Byroney

TriciaSimm replied to Byroney_WebMD_Staff's response:
You did not fail if you intend to give it another shot. There is no failure if you keep striving for the outcome you want!!!

Byroney_WebMD_Staff replied to TriciaSimm's response:
I agree, Tricia! That's a very positive viewpoint and a good reminder that we can keep trying.

Best wishes for a smoke-free weekend to all,

Byroney

Featuring Experts

Jonathan Foulds, PhD. is a Professor of Public Health Sciences at Penn State University, College of Medicine. After obtaining a first class honors deg...More

Helpful Tips

What might work for those who have tried everything?Expert
Many smokers feel they have already tried everything…..cold turkey, hypnosis, patches, acupuncture…..but still find they are smoking ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 17 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.