Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Second-Hand Smoke ? More Bad News
Byroney_WebMD_Staff posted:
Dr. Moser of our Family Webicine blog shares, "Adolescents are already at risk for hearing loss from loud music and concerts venues, but a new study published in the July issue of Archives of Otolaryngology — Head and Neck Surgery found that teens exposed to second-hand smoke have a two-fold increase in sensorineural hearing loss. This is the first study that has found a direct relationship to second-hand (tobacco) smoke and hearing loss."

Does this give you another reason to quit or urge a teen you know to never start?

Byroney

BuBuSpidecky responded:
My Second Cousin spent a lot of time with her Grand Parents (My Aunt and Uncle) and an Uncle that smoked, Indoors, one after the Other. I remember her always having Ear problems, and after her grand parents were deceased, she had a problem where her lung cavity grew faster than her lungs. She almost died at 19. Dr.s had to 'staple' her lungs to the lung cavity wall so they would expand and take in air. My Cousin, Her Mother has COPD CB, and she never 'touched' a cigarette in her life, although she probably inhaled 2 packs a day for most of her life. And Her Daughter, My Second Cousin, at 23 has hearing problems.

Even though I was a Smoker, I always smoked Outside. When I walked into someone's house that smoked the stench was horrible. Now it's 1000 times worse since I'm an Ex-Smoker.

BuBu

Featuring Experts

Jonathan Foulds, PhD. is a Professor of Public Health Sciences at Penn State University, College of Medicine. After obtaining a first class honors deg...More

Helpful Tips

ecigs
I've heard bad things about ecigs having metals etc in the vapor because it is cheaply made. More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.