Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Though the FDA does not want to classify it as a Cessation Method...
oleslie0o0 posted:
I have been a smoker for 14 years, my fiancee has smoked for 18 years and my mother in law has smoked for 50+ years we all have to quit for medical reasons. My mother in law has COPD, fiancee fibromyalgia, psoriatic arthritis, and meniere's disease, I have psoriatic arthritis, a horrible case of psoriasis and osteo arthritis. All of these conditions in one house is amazing but besides that we needed to quit and have tried many different ways over the course of many years to quit including the patch, chantix, wellbutrin, gum, and my fiancee was seriously thinking of chewing tobacco before I came up with trying a new way of trying to quit.

I started researching electronic cigarettes almost 6 months ago and decided since every method has not worked for any of us it seemed like the most reasonable solution to all of our problems. So far it has been though I will agree it is not for everyone it does have many things that require research and can in some ways be a hassle. Though the product of the hassle and research could be people like us ones that have seemed to try everything and nothing was working. We have successfully for over 1 month been tobacco free yes we do receive nicotine but this nicotine can be reduced just as a patch to eventually it is zero.

Today I went for over 3 hours not being able to use my electronic cigarette as I was in the hospital with my fiancee for an out patient procedure and I did not make a mad dash to the car as I would have if I was smoking regular cigarettes as a matter of fact I casually took the electronic cigarette out of my purse and placed it in easy reaching distance while I was driving just in case. Not that I desired to use it but just in case when the mood struck I did not have to dig around in my purse while driving. To me this is a huge breakthrough and an amazing step for me as any other time I was craving a cigarette so much that it was all I could do to stop myself from running to the car to get the cigarette lit. Loosing that feeling and having this new found freedom is amazing not to mention I can breathe, taste, and smell so much more than I ever thought.

Though the FDA does not want to classify the electronic cigarette as a cessation method I say look at my mother in law a 50+ year smoker that does not crave a cigarette and yes she has COPD and is able to breathe and walk to the car without being out of breathe. She is able to walk around a store and enjoy it for the first time in a long time not just because of the electronic cigarette but because of the ability to free herself from tobacco and if the electronic cigarette works then I say why not as it is obviously not as bad for her as a regular cigarette.

I say congratulations to anyone if they quit no matter the method so long as it works for them. I write this to make people aware of the possibilities those who have tried it all and yet to break the habit this may work for you or it may not but in the end the question is it not worth trying it might just work?

Featuring Experts

Jonathan Foulds, PhD. is a Professor of Public Health Sciences at Penn State University, College of Medicine. After obtaining a first class honors deg...More

Helpful Tips

What are the characteristics of effective smoking cessation treatment?Expert
Many smokers who have tried unsuccessfully to quit smoking on their own start to consider seeking help to quit. Of course a quick internet ... More
Was this Helpful?
19 of 21 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.