Skip to content
A little over 36 hours quit
Anon_239090 posted:
I have been a quitter for a little over 36 hours. I've quit plenty of times before, so far, this has been one of my most successful quits. Yes, I know it's only been 36 hours.

Yesterday, I was so disgusted with the whole smoking process. I woke up with only a few cigs in the pack. Needed to go to the store right off the bat and it occured to me how much those little things were controlling my life. Really...So, I get out a journal, and start writing, I write abaout everything smoke related. How I cough in the AM, can't breath, so expensive, blah, blah, blah. But here is the thing, I was brutally honest with myself. No need to go into details here you all know the drill. But I kept the journal going all day long. Every detail, all through the day, the curtains and furniture that stink, the burn hole I put in the brand new sofa that I look at every day, you name it, I wrote it down. Yes, I wasted a day but I suspect I'll get that one back just added on to the end of my life. So, now the best part. I immediately kicked into the mental mode that I've quit smoking. I am breathing deeper, focusing on cleaning my lungs, I am drinking plenty of water to flush out the junk from my system. When I start to want a cigarette, I do something to reinforce that I've quit. Clean the ash trays, take the curtains down and wash them, you get the idea. But really, I just keep thinking on the positive. Every minute that passes, I'm that much closer to deep breaths, and jogging with my puppy. So, I'm staying focused on each minute and remembering over and over that I feel better and better. I'm smelling everything now. My deoderant stinks, yikes, I didn't even know that but it smells. LOL isn't that ironic? Iced tea needs less sugar than before, I am just staying focused on all of the changes instead of focusing on quitting or not quitting, just staying in the moment. I will do it this time....d-e-e-e-p b-r-e-a-t-h hold it exhale. repeat as often as necessary. looking forward to seeing how much better it is tomorrow.

leenew responded:
quit smoking more times then i have fingers and toes but after 40 yrs i finally did it i have been smoke free for 6 months now and never plan on going back just keep thinking about all the money u are saving by not buying cigarettes i went with the chantix that was the only thing i hadn't tried and it worked for me so good luck and hang in there i'll be rooting for u the whole way its gets a little easier everyday u go with out one

Featuring Experts

Jonathan Foulds, PhD. is a Professor of Public Health Sciences at Penn State University, College of Medicine. After obtaining a first class honors deg...More

Helpful Tips

What might work for those who have tried everything?Expert
Many smokers feel they have already tried everything…..cold turkey, hypnosis, patches, acupuncture…..but still find they are smoking ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 18 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.