Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Need to quit.....
carsonc2 posted:
Okay, this is my first time here. I am looking for resources and information on quiting smoking. Like a post I read earlier, I enjoy smoking but I have a lot of family history with heart disease and cancer and I need to quit. I have tried several times unsuccessfully to stop.

I thought about the e-cig but I am a little afraid of them. I have tried the gum and it did not work for me. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

KSUCats responded:
My first time here as well. I guess it is a positive that we are hear trying to get help. I have started using the Nicoderm Transdermal Patch and it takes the edge off of my cravings. I still have cravings but they are not as severe. I also try to drink a lot of water during the day. Good Luck, here's to a healthier life for both of us.

totolost responded:
This is my first time here too. I have been using the electronic cigarette now for two years. I too enjoyed smoking and smoked for about 45 years. When asked by my adult daughter if I would consider trying the e-cig I kinda brushed it off. One day I decided to give it a try. When it arrived I was VERY nervous about trying it. Two years later I can honestly say it is the best thing I have ever done for myself!
Two weeks ago my atomizer died and I did not have a replacement. I ordered more but in the meantime, needing the nicotine fix, I bought a pack of cigarettes. YUCK!!! I HATE smoking cigarettes! Lesson learned. I never want to smoke a cigarette ever again.

BuBuSpidecky replied to totolost's response:
I got my first eCig Kit In Feb. Last year. It arrived in the mail from BluCigs.com. Company's hard to deal with, but the product is great. It was about 14:00 when I was ready to try it...Haven't smoked Tobacco since. Then Started refilling the tips from Johnson Creek Smoke Juice and lowering the Nicotine every time. I'm now Nicotine Free and the only time I use it is if I'm stressed and need that Cig Break.

NOPE! Not even one puff! Them Tobacco things Stink.
Us Ex-Smokers are the worst. ~<>

totolost replied to BuBuSpidecky's response:
I sure hope that some day I can get to where you have gotten. A huge congradulations!! It's a huge deal.

ecigdomaincom replied to totolost's response:
Have you tried electronic cigarettes?

BuBuSpidecky replied to BuBuSpidecky's response:
[Follow Up and another Idea>
I have a friend that developed COPD and has to nebulize 4 times a day, O2 at night and when active, but he just can't quit smoking. He's tried everything. I did get him to use Tar-Bar tips on his cigarettes. Then I tried something different. I'm surprised Medical science hasn't thought of this yet. I got pure nicotine diluted with Saline to 10 mg per ML (= 1 cig he smokes). I visited him one day for lunch and asked him to try it in his nebulizer. He did and didn't want a smoke for three hours. Tried another one one and didn't smoke for the rest of the day. It was actually easy for him and he stopped smoking that day. But it wasn't easy for me. I had to convince his respiratory doctor write me a prescription for it and then go to a compounding pharmacy and have it made. Yet, it is good to see my friend walking down the street on short walks with his dog and without his O2. He's been reducing the nicotine level by 1tenth each week and say's he hasn't really noticed it. We'll see in another 6 months. I'll keep you posted.

As for me, I recently bummed a smoke from a friend at a party just for devilment. One puff and I coughed my lungs out, and returned a quart of Beer and Dinner to the ground. I couldn't breath right for a week. Never again. It's the same thing that happened to me with my first cig and I had the same urge to try smoking again. Thanks to my e-cig , I got over it.

Cheers,
BuBu

Featuring Experts

Jonathan Foulds, PhD. is a Professor of Public Health Sciences at Penn State University, College of Medicine. After obtaining a first class honors deg...More

Helpful Tips

Just quit.
Was 20 year, pack a day. Bought Prosmoke. Wasn't nearly good enough. Got an EGO with the 510 refillable cartridges. It took 4 weeks to ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.