Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Questions about Chantix and Zyban
An_241379 posted:
I am 25 years old, my mom reacently passed away with lung problem complications and I have been smoking since 14 my doctor is going to start me on Chantix or Zyban and my question was I do have a few beers a week... is it okay to continue while on one of these? I usually have maybe 4 beers on a Saturday but I just wanted to get some info first.
Thanks

Jonathan Foulds, PhD responded:
Generally it is better to avoid alcohol during the first month of quitting smoking at least, regardless of whether you are using a med or not. Many people associate smoking with alcohol and so alcohol triggers cravings. Also the alcohol clouds our judgement. Not a great mix when trying to quit smoking.
You can find a bit more info. here .

An_241836 replied to Jonathan Foulds, PhD's response:
Doctor Foulds, what are the types and risks of cancer can you get if you've either been smoking or are living with a smoker? This is for my senior year persuasive speech-I'm trying to tell my classmates that smoking is never healthy for you. Can you help me?

Jonathan Foulds, PhD replied to An_241836's response:
Continuing smokers are about 20 times more likely than never smokers to get lung cancer, about 16 times more likely to suffer chronic respiratory disease and about 3 times more likely to have a heart attack. It harms virtually every organ in the body. Most of the health effects are in middle-old age but some are at a younger age (e.g. effects on pregnancy, cervical cancer, impotnece etc).
You may find much more info here.

Featuring Experts

Jonathan Foulds, PhD. is a Professor of Public Health Sciences at Penn State University, College of Medicine. After obtaining a first class honors deg...More

Helpful Tips

Might glucose help smokers to quit?Expert
We all know that when you stop smoking your appetite increases, and often people get a particular craving for sweet foods. It seems as ... More
Was this Helpful?
20 of 25 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.