Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Chronic Pain, Insomnia, Chest Pain & Nervousness from Quitting
pherring12 posted:
Around early to mid December, I began a tapering process from a pack to a pack and a half a day down to 5 then 4 and finally 3 on Christmas day. I then had my last cigarette at 12:30pm on Christmas day. During the tapering time and still, I'm having terrible body aches/pains, insomnia, chest pain & nervousness. Due to the fact that I have severe DDD (Arthritis), Spinal Stenosis and a variety of other back issues and am under a great deal of stress due to lack of employment & dependence on family at the age of 42, lack of sleep especially makes me almost unable to function. Can you give me any insight as to when the above-mentioned symptoms may pass and if there's anything I can do to speed the process? Thanks!

Jonathan Foulds, PhD responded:
When someone has concurrent medical problems and stress and then quits smoking it can be difficult to tell which symptoms are caused by stopping smoking and which symptoms are caused by the other issues. Insomnia and feelings of stress can increase during the few weeks after quitting smoking and are due to nicotine withdrawal. The good news is that the part of these symptoms due to nicotine withdrawal usually gets better within 2-4 weeks or sooner. This article gives a bit more detail. This article provides some tips on managing nicotine withdrawal sumptoms. I hope this is helpful.

pherring12 replied to Jonathan Foulds, PhD's response:
Thank you very much for the information! I have a Rx for trazadone (night time antidepressant) on hand. Would that be of any help in getting some decent sleep at night?

Anon_1521 replied to Jonathan Foulds, PhD's response:
thank you for this article..it was everything i experienced..I have been without for 3m,2wks,4d,11h,53m,27s.. I think i tried at least a dozen times, but that is the key.. I kept trying..
this time my mind is set.. The effects of no nicotine eventually lessen over time.. I did not change anything, associated with smoking..i felt like that would be a true test to keep my life as is.,except nicotine.. ie., coffee, drinks, etc...
less stressful that way, at least it was for me... Before i would try and change my WHOLE life(Routine) and it always got the best of me..in the end i would start smoking again..
I guess we do what will hopefully work best for us, personally, with trial and error.
Many thanks to you for your support here, i read these updates daily, which in turn keeps me encouraged to keep going strong day by day.

Jonathan Foulds, PhD replied to pherring12's response:
You mentioned that you have an Rx "on hand". If your doctor prescribed it recently for the symptoms you described, then that makes sense. But if not, then check with your doctor again first. Sometimes it can be harder for the doctor to figure out what is causing what if the patient has made numerous changes,

pherring12 replied to Jonathan Foulds, PhD's response:
Thanks to all. I'll be closing this thread now. Best to all!

Featuring Experts

Jonathan Foulds, PhD. is a Professor of Public Health Sciences at Penn State University, College of Medicine. After obtaining a first class honors deg...More

Helpful Tips

What might work for those who have tried everything?Expert
Many smokers feel they have already tried everything…..cold turkey, hypnosis, patches, acupuncture…..but still find they are smoking ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 17 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.