Skip to content
Time to prepare for New Year Quitting
Jonathan Foulds, PhD posted:
Are you planning to quit at the New Year? This is one of the most popular times to make a serious quit attempt. As the excesses of the holiday season come to a close, and people look to healthy self-improvement in 2012, New Year is one of the most popular times of the year for smokers to quit. So I'm just putting out a reminder today that January 2012 is only 5 days away, and there are some steps you may want to take now to get ready.

Firstly, you may want to make a firm decision when you are going to quit. January 1st is traditional but it is okay to plan it for whatever day suits your schedule, so long as you stick to the plan.

Once you have chosen your Quit Date, then you should decide if you plan to use a smoking cessation aid. There are three nicotine replacement products (gum, patch and lozenge) that are available over the counter from your pharmacy, and four prescription-only medications: varenicline (Chantix), bupropion, nicotine nasal spray and nicotine inhaler. All of the nicotine replacement products are started on your quit day, but varenicline and bupropion should be started prior to the quit day (ideally at least a week before). So if you were planning to use one of those, you should go and see your doctor now.

Then there are a range of other tips, websites and resources that may be helpful. You could try the Smoking Cessation Health Center on WebMD (linked above), or another free smoking cessation site such as www.becomeanex.com . It would be good to hear what some of you are doing to prepare for quitting, and to hear tips from those of you who have already quit successfully.

Take the Poll

When are you planning to quit?
  • Before January 1, 2012
  • On January 1, 2012
  • In January, 2012, but not on Jan 1.
  • I havnt decided yet.
vote
View Poll Results

rlwill responded:
I have been quitting for 23 years. I know that sounds extreme but I have a really hard time giving them up. The longest was 2 weeks but that is only because I was in ICU for 2 weeks....
I make my mind uo because I know the whole health and financial reasons and the day comes and I find myself buying cigarettes like the good addict I am, I went through this with alcohol in 89 and it nearly cost me my life before I quit using alcohol completely. And even at that it wasn't easy but I have to say kicking tobaccoo has been extremely hard. I have tried, drugs, patches, gum and pure will power to no avail. I live alone so I have no one at home to give me support where I need it the most while I am home alone it's just me in my head... Any Ideas? I would really appreciate them... Thanks

petetucker replied to rlwill's response:
Quitting smoking is a lengthy and difficult process that many governments have put millions of dollars into motivating. A new study, however, signifies that nicotine substitution therapies do not have an impact on the long-term success of individuals attempting to quit smoking. Even nicotine patches and gums does not work to make a smoker quit smoking. Source of article: Patches and gums do not help smokers quit long-term .

Jonathan Foulds, PhD replied to petetucker's response:
Check out my comments on the recent study claiming to show that nicotine replacement therapy does not help smokers to quit. That study had many weaknesses and was a study of long term relapse rather than a study of quitting. It is no surprise that taking NRT for a couple of months 4 years ago has little imact on your chances of relapsing this year.

Featuring Experts

Jonathan Foulds, PhD. is a Professor of Public Health Sciences at Penn State University, College of Medicine. After obtaining a first class honors deg...More

Helpful Tips

Might glucose help smokers to quit?Expert
We all know that when you stop smoking your appetite increases, and often people get a particular craving for sweet foods. It seems as ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 26 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.