Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Marijuana smoker of 7 years recently clean for 1 month. At times coughing up phlegm with dark brown specs. help please?
An_245328 posted:
Hello. I have been a smoker of only marijuana for about 7 years and recently been clean for a month. At times I will cough up phlegm that contains specs of dark brown in the mucus. This happens more so in the morning as this is when it is the thickest. I am concerned and just wondering what this may be and if this will cease over time as I continue to stay clean. I have never smoked cigarettes ever and not much of a drinker. I have never used any other form of drug. I do work out at least 4 times a week with cardio as well as weight training. Any good information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

angel272559 responded:
Your lungs are in the process of expelling all the gook that has accumulated keep on working out and do lots of cardio.The body like your brain will slowly readjust it does take time.You need to keep in mind that long term drug use changes the ability of the brain to produce neurotransmitters and after quitting has to again ramp up production.You will go thru periods of depression,anxiety and a host of other uncomfortable feelings.I hope you are in a program so that you get proper help the relapse rate is quite high and do not think it is a matter of will power,staying clean alone will limit your ability to stay clean.Good Luck!! You are on the right track

Featuring Experts

Jonathan Foulds, PhD. is a Professor of Public Health Sciences at Penn State University, College of Medicine. After obtaining a first class honors deg...More

Health Insurance in Your State

Learn about plans, benefits, and costs in your state's Marketplace.

From WebMD

Helpful Tips

Caffeine and smoking cessationExpert
Many visitors to this site have commented on the close association between smoking and caffeine consumption, most commonly involving ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 19 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.