Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
best product to help quit?
An_246903 posted:
I am trying to quit smoking and don't want to try going cold turkey again because it obviously wasn't successful. I am trying to decide between the nicotine patch and the gum...any suggestions as to which works better?

Jonathan Foulds, PhD responded:
Nicotine patch and gum are about equally successful. If you smoke more than 10 cigarettes per day or within 30 minutes of waking in the morning you may do better with 4mg than 2mg gum. Its really a matter of preference...the patch is easy to use but gives you nothing to do when you have a craving. The gum requires a bit more "work"...and you need to chew at least 8 pieces per day. Let us know what you tried and how it went.

Bud452752 replied to Jonathan Foulds, PhD's response:
Bud452752 - First of all - Congratulations on trying to quit smoking - I quit almost 6 months ago with the patch and I found it quite successful. I had tried almost everything in the past so the patch was my last hope. I had been a smoker for 50 years so I'm really proud of myself that I was able to quit. Mind you it wasn't easy and I still get the odd day that I get cravings but I have been able to work through them and each day gets easier. Some coping skills that I used were - chewing sugar-free gum, drinking ice cold water through a straw, going for a short walk, joined a support group, talked to support workers on the help lines. It's doable - just remember N.O.P.E (not one puff ever) Good Luck and please keep in touch -

Featuring Experts

Jonathan Foulds, PhD. is a Professor of Public Health Sciences at Penn State University, College of Medicine. After obtaining a first class honors deg...More

Helpful Tips

What are the characteristics of effective smoking cessation treatment?Expert
Many smokers who have tried unsuccessfully to quit smoking on their own start to consider seeking help to quit. Of course a quick internet ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 23 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.