Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
E cig results
An_246955 posted:
I am a doctor and I have been smoking since I snuck my first cigarette from a visiting uncle's pack when I was 14. I have always loved smoking! (I even remember enjoying warm, comforting smell of my friend's mom cigarette as she drove us kids to grade school back in the eighties.) Like others, I have quit so many times that I simply "quit quitting". I have tried cold turkey (made it 6 months plus), gum, hypnotism, and Chantix. I even prescribed Chantix to my patients - yes, I am a doctor and admit that I am a former "closet smoker". In the beginning I felt like I could quit anytime and did so multiple times but it never lasted more than 6 months. (For those of you who think it's a matter of not enough "willpower", I challenge you to quit drinking coffee/caffine products for a similar time period- Does the mere thought elicit feelings of dread or negativity? Bingo.)

Truthfully, I HATED the fact that I smoked. It was a comfort, a crutch, a little mini-break for myself, an after dinner treat, whatever. I knew that I was killing myself slowly, one cig at a time, but I just couldn't quit. A year or two ago I came to the realization that I really couldn't quit. Chantix worked, but was a nightmare, literally.

Just for kicks, and the sake of another cool electonic gadget, I tried a Logic e-cig from Cumberland Farms, my local convenience store. I truthfully had No intentions of quitting. . .Long story short, in about two weeks, I 100% completely quit smoking. It has been about 8wks since I bought my first ecig, and I have now been smoke free for over 6 weeks. For week or two, I still smoked whenever I wanted to, but the Urge to smoke steadily grew less and less. I finished my current pack of Marlboro Menthols (I used to smoke Camels, then Marlboro Reds, then Newports) and for the first time ever, just didn't feel the need to buy another pack. One day before the end of week two, a friend came over and as a matter of routine, gave me cigarette (a wimpy "ultralight" Parliament no less). I lit it, took a few puffs, and I felt like I inhaling burning smoke from a pile of tires or exhaust from my ford small block V8. (bored to 347 'natch). Really. I remember describing it "Toxic" to my friend. I even got a definite feeling of nausea (from a parliment!!? Hahaha) That is the story of MyLAST cigarette!! Hallelujah!!!! It has been about 6 weeks since and I have NOT smoked nor had the urge since! Note: (Although I found logic ecigs expensive at 9.99 a pop, I will always be grateful to Logic ecigs (not a plug just the truth) for helping me to quit smoking. See something good actually came out of New Jersey!) I still can't believe that after so many years of feeling defeated my smoking that it was that easy for me to quit an up to a pack a day habit! And you know what- I don't even miss it! Thank you God for introducing me to ecigs! I hated smoking so much and will never look back. TRUTH.

Take the Poll

Everything else staying the same, do you wish you had never started smoking?
  • Yes. I should have never started.
  • No. I know it is bad for me but don't care.
  • Yes, but I would miss the good times.
  • Yes. I know smoking a bad for me, but I can't quit.
  • No. The bad side effects of Smoking are overhyped.
vote
View Poll Results

MudbugInnh1 responded:
Important note: I had smoked for over 25 years before this, never quitting for more than 6 months. (Sorry I Missed a few editing errors. I'm a bad iPhone typist;)

oxygennursie replied to MudbugInnh1's response:
I am so so proud of you. I am a nurse who has never smoked a cigarette in her life. But I go into homes all day educating people on respiratory devices. Unfortunately there are so many smokers that I was concerned about the exposure of second hand smoke, plus my dad has stage 4 lung cancer. I used to tell people about Chantix until I heard 95% of them tell me they would NEVER take it again due to psychotic side effects. I learned about the ecigs from a patients smoking a try2vape ecig. He told me he quit after smoking 3 packs a day with this thing. The ecig community is growing rapidly and I am thrilled. My patients doctors are telling them how much their lung function has improved and 2 of my patient have gotten off of night time oxygen and they report back to me "my doctor is happy I am on ecigs and says my lungs sound better"...so good for you. We need more doctors having the guts to speak out! Keep up the good work!!!

Featuring Experts

Jonathan Foulds, PhD. is a Professor of Public Health Sciences at Penn State University, College of Medicine. After obtaining a first class honors deg...More

Helpful Tips

Might glucose help smokers to quit?Expert
We all know that when you stop smoking your appetite increases, and often people get a particular craving for sweet foods. It seems as ... More
Was this Helpful?
20 of 25 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.