Skip to content
COPD and smoking
redpjelvis posted:
My Mother has Copd, and Shes hasn't had a cigerate for 3 months now, (halleljah) but She still has a hard time catching a breath when walking even just a little piece. Shes very over weight too, so that doesn't help either. But will Her lungs start healing some now that the cigerates are gone? Were hoping that She can start breathing easier now. Does anyone know how long it takes for this to happen? Were very worried about Her, the heat makes the smothering really bad too Thanks..

Chris_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hiya,

Welcome, and it's so nice you are so concerned about your mom, she's lucky to have you.

I am not an expert, but her doctor is. I'm thinking the best thing to do is take her to the doctor and ask these questions. A physical at this point is a good idea. Ask the doc what to expect and how long til she's feeling better as far quitting smoking goes. Best of luck and health to her, please let us know how she is doing. Quitting smoking is the best thing she can do for her health right now.

Featuring Experts

Jonathan Foulds, PhD. is a Professor of Public Health Sciences at Penn State University, College of Medicine. After obtaining a first class honors deg...More

Helpful Tips

Day 3 Cold Turkey - Commute Time!
I have a 40 minute drive to work - and I would smoke at least 3 cigarettes on the way to work depending on traffic that could easily be ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.