Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
quit smoking
charpie posted:
hi,
it will be 3weeks this tuesday that i have quit smoking. i was taking champix but stopped after 8 days of not smoking as i felt extremely tired and was starting to gain weight. they did help take the edge off and stay positive about quitting. now i am feeling anxious, i am eating all the time and when i am not eating i feel like i want to sleep so i do not have to think about it. the weekends are harder than weekdays as i am working during the week and have started biking with my son in the evening too keep us busy. i am hoping the thoughts of wanting to smoke will subside but i am feeling very on edge and i feel as though it is hard to be around anybody because of the way i am feeling. my husband quit too and i thought it would be harder for him but he is not feeling the way i am at all. i am feeling guilty because i have kids and i feel like i am very short with them at times and i am always thinking i am a bad mother because of my moodiness. i hope things will start to improve because i know the benefits are huge i just hope this does not change my personality forever!!

Jonathan Foulds, PhD responded:
It is normal to experience increased appetite, moodiness and short temper for a while after stopping smoking. These symptoms typically peak in the first week and are usually noticeably less four weeks later, and largely gone by 6 weeks. The moodiness does not mean you are a bad person or a bad mother....and it is probably worth explaining to your family that it is due to nicotine withdrawal. These symptoms are reduced by nicotine replacement therapy, bupropion or varenicline (Champix) and they will subside over time. Your personality will return to normal. Please write back to let others know of your experience over time.

Featuring Experts

Jonathan Foulds, PhD. is a Professor of Public Health Sciences at Penn State University, College of Medicine. After obtaining a first class honors deg...More

Helpful Tips

What might work for those who have tried everything?Expert
Many smokers feel they have already tried everything…..cold turkey, hypnosis, patches, acupuncture…..but still find they are smoking ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 17 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.