Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
What quitting method has highest fail rate?
Jonathan Foulds, PhD posted:
It is often stated that most smokers who quit, do so without any assistance. This fact is sometimes taken as evidence that "cold turkey" is the best way to quit, and treatment (counseling, medication or both) is a waste of time. Tobias Raupach and colleagues at University College London recently published a study showing that such a conclusion is mistaken.

They examined data from a study in which 9274 smokers who reported making a quit attempt in the past year were asked about what they did in their quit attempt. 6% had attended a stop smoking service that included medication, 16% had had used a prescription medicine, and 31% had used an over the counter smoking cessation medicine. By far the largest proportion of those who failed to quit, (48%) had made an unassisted attempt . Therefore by using this overly simplistic type of analysis one could conclude that unassisted quit attempts are both the most and the least effective method!

Clearly this is nonsense, and, as the authors point out, it tells us very little about what helps smokers to quit. The best way to find out if one treatment works better than another treatment, or better than no treatment, is via randomized clinical trials or a meta-analysis of all these combined. These show very clearly that counseling support and use of an approved smoking cessation medicine increase the chances of success in quitting.

lissmeanstrouble responded:
Just want to share a bit of "quitters humor"
I was at the electronic stix store waiting to buy some more juice for my e-cig, and a girl I went to highschool with was also waiting in line.
This store makes me so mad, they expect a bunch of ex-smokers to wait patiently while their one salesperson helps everyone one at a time.
Its the only place I know of that sells a decent juice, the other juice at smoke shops seems to scorch.

Im still learning about them and how they work, the sales people act as if they are superior cause they know how every model works. I get it, its your job. I draw blood want me to talk about blood tests? Bet ya dont know about that! anyways quitting and feeling nicotine withdrawels, makes everything like 3 times more annoying to me ha ha. Everytime I go in that store Im getting my fix and they irritate me so bad!!!!

They have a clipboard you have to write your name on, its like take a number 'cept, different.

I dont really know what I expect them to do, 'cept for be faster.

My old school-mate turned to me and said "I miss cigarettes, hit the gas station, you're in you're out, this place is killing me!" I nodded in feverish agreement. While tapping my foot. And as soon as I got my bottle of juice I smoked my e-cig continuously for a while ha ha ha....

Makes me laugh now tho. I would rather deal with that then spend 200 bucks a month on smokes.

Featuring Experts

Jonathan Foulds, PhD. is a Professor of Public Health Sciences at Penn State University, College of Medicine. After obtaining a first class honors deg...More

Helpful Tips

What are the characteristics of effective smoking cessation treatment?Expert
Many smokers who have tried unsuccessfully to quit smoking on their own start to consider seeking help to quit. Of course a quick internet ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 23 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.