Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
NEW WebMD Answers!
Chris_WebMD_Staff posted:
You have questions, we have Answers !

We're happy to announce the launch of a new tool here at WebMD that we think our members will enjoy -- WebMD Answers .

While community is a place to get to know your fellow members and experts on a deep and supportive level, sometimes folks just want to ask a question and receive an answer. That's what WebMD Answers is all about.

Check it out!!

baylieandme responded:
How long do the physical withdrawl symptoms last after you quit smoking. I am extremely emotional and very easy to cry. Can't stand it & have to go to work. I can hang in there if I know when the end is.

Jonathan Foulds, PhD replied to baylieandme's response:
Most of the nicotine withdrawal symptoms are psychological (like feeling very irritable) rather than physical (e.g. people generally don't get the sweats, or headaches when they quit smoking). But that doesn't make the withdrawal symptoms any less real.

The symptoms that we know are due to nicotine withdrawal are: irritability (impatience), poor concentration, restlessness, anxiety, depressed mood, increased appetite/hunger, difficulty staying asleep, and craving for a cigarette.

These symptoms peak in the first few days/week and have generally returned to normal within 2-4 weeks after quitting smoking. So it is important to know that the mood swings are temporary and you will soon be feeling much better.

Featuring Experts

Jonathan Foulds, PhD. is a Professor of Public Health Sciences at Penn State University, College of Medicine. After obtaining a first class honors deg...More

Helpful Tips

Might glucose help smokers to quit?Expert
We all know that when you stop smoking your appetite increases, and often people get a particular craving for sweet foods. It seems as ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 26 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.