Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Support for quitting
Tim327 posted:
I'm looking for people who are quitting and want to encourage each other. or maybe a place just to vent some things. I have been trying to quit for a few years now. I did quit for a full year. Now I quit and start again and having trouble finding reason to stay quit. But when i start again sooner or later it gets to the point where i start smoking incessantly and spiraling into a seemingly uncontrollable tailspin of depression where i tell myself things constantly, obsessively about how i suck and am worthless in every way. it's so easy to start back up, and so difficult and takes such a long time each time i stop, i never seem to get very far.

MsDeb responded:
u quit for a full year and went back? OMG I'm in trouble! I have been smoke free for 29 days now but having awful times. I am mean as a tiger and not myself. I have smoked for over 30 years and had polyps removed from vocal cords and advised to quit. (non cancerous) . I started with nicorette lozenges which did not agree with me got a rash, so now on patch . I am going nuts however, and almost ripped it off today and lite up. I cant stand it truthfully. I am tired alot, I am experiencing a lot of stress and this not smoking too is killling me. I feel like another person and not a nice one!

Tim327 replied to MsDeb's response:
I hear you. it took me a while to find this thread even though they emailed me a message that a reply to my message had been posted. i have quit now for 3 days and last night had stress and found myself scrounging around for enough tobacco to roll up. now i feel crappy again. i am in an extreme situation i think too. i'm a christian and trying hard to live my life rightly (which i am told is the wrong thing to do) but i do feel it's right for me to quit smoking because when i do smoke, i feel very condemned right after.

this morning after smoking last night, i had trouble getting out of bed and even noticed i was angry and bitter and didn't want to fill the dog's water bowl. i feel like i am my own worst enemy and when i do things to harm myself, i get mad at myself and find it next to impossible almost to even live life.

a couple things about your post - not smoking doesn't kill you, smoking does & i believe you are a nice person even if you don't feel like it. we all have struggles. if we can share them, we can be encouraged.

MsDeb replied to Tim327's response:
Saturday week 6 now starting , my new thing now is at night to go down to my car in the garage and have my one cigarette! LOL I know they say smoking kills, but i am a mess because I am NOT MYSELF and I don't have time for this crap. I work full time, have child with some needs, a house to keep clean, a husband retiring., I am not doing anything right. Leaving check card at coffee shop, driving over cement blocks thinking i can go thru that spot at walmart, (did not dare look at car yet), just messing up things. And I feel unhappy. I do have an appmt to meet with somebody election day at a health center however, now I think i'm like a nutcase. I often think , you know what? just smoke and be yourself ... Day 37 here and basket case still. By the way i read this can go on for 6 months. SIX MONTHS? OMG I can't do this I have no ambition or anything. Grief, anger etc and I really dont want to take pills or drink. Its seems pick your poison ya know? I typing fast now cos I have to have my coffee and take kid to music lesson.. I will write again. I don't like not smoking. It sucks ... Oh look at this lelabryan.hubpages.com . I m on that patch dont know If I should b or what. U cold turkey? they say patch is successful if used right but.. I dont know .. Oh well life goes on -- things to do. I have to just keep going but the thing is I cant I stop and pause and do things backwards and stuff., and then I get angry. good luck. The good news is I think this patch may help me not eat alot of food lol. Maybe thats nerves I do not know .. ok bye again. Its like your entire way of life has changed. (it has!)

Tim327 replied to MsDeb's response:
want my life to change for the better. smoking has caused me to almost kill myself (dropping cherries in my crotch while driving), i think i started a brush fire once throwing a cig out the window in california, and i hate to get the urge around children, especially ones i'm related too. i feel so disrespectful when i have to leave a family function for that. with thanksgiving and christmas coming up, quitting will pay off.

i think it is about being peaceful though too. i believe we can overcome with His power. and not in some mysterious mystical way, but in a real and practical one. it's different for everyone, but it sounds like you are struggling mightily. also sounds like you are starting to win. i am also having trouble with scatter brainedness.

i am cold turkey and i have all but overcome it. i think i battled it physically, psychologically and the last part is the emotional death of my old smoker self. it's tough because if i think about it and let myself feel it (which i do have to i believe since grief is an important process not to be skipped in life) i get mad at myself for wasting so much of life and being just generally insufficient. inadequacy is one of the biggest criminals of spiritual freedom there is.

i'm looking at the webpage now and keep up your work - it will be worth it. i am starting to see a freedom i can have inside myself, but i also need to share it with others. setting each other free and sharing in that freedom is what it's all about. don't beat yourself up too bad. take care of yourself. keep giving yourself grace - we all need it to survive.

Tim327 replied to Tim327's response:
every time i say i am over it, i lose some power. i need to stop saying that. i feel different i should say like smoking doesn't have the same power over me that it used to. which it doesn't. the thing is, i'm not sure if that's all good or not. i feel an ability forming in me to overcome the physical part like i was never able to before. it might be an ability given to me from outside somewhere. last night after some guys were talking about smoking cigars for about 5 minutes, i became a bit obsessed and rolled up a little tiny bit. that's all it took for me to feel bad again.

so it looks like can go about 4 days right now which is better than becoming obsessed and doing it non-stop. i made a chart and instead of marking the times when i do smoke like a journal, i am checking off each day i do not smoke. this has made a difference and is making a difference in how i see quitting. it's actually not quitting anything, it's starting to live. it's quitting giving up on life. it's just so hard not to give up sometimes.

hope you are well Deb - God bless

healthconcious responded:
I need to quit smoking - AGAIN- I am not motivated - Can anyone help me with suggetions for a creative program?

Mikal replied to healthconcious's response:
I quit in July after smoking for 40 yrs trying gums and different e-Cigs...finally found one that worked and have not touched one since, there are a few vaping shops in our area, got curious and stopped at one..bought the EGO-C 1100mah upgrade battery and a Vision Clearomizer for the juice that comes in all sorts of flavors...not trying to push any products or businesses here but this is what has worked for me and a group of friends.. you can google vaping shops as it appears they are popping up everywhere lately.

Featuring Experts

Jonathan Foulds, PhD. is a Professor of Public Health Sciences at Penn State University, College of Medicine. After obtaining a first class honors deg...More

Helpful Tips

What are the characteristics of effective smoking cessation treatment?Expert
Many smokers who have tried unsuccessfully to quit smoking on their own start to consider seeking help to quit. Of course a quick internet ... More
Was this Helpful?
19 of 21 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.