Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Bloating on Patch
EeyoreRI posted:
I smoked about a 1.5 packs a day for 48 years - I have been on the patch for 2 months - now using "step 2" my MD said I could use them for up to a month... I am having problems wih extreme bloating - I have gained about 10 pounds - but I was about 195 pounds - so 10 pounds is only a 5% weight gain - But this bloating is getting to me - I was wondering if anyone else has had problems with bloating using the patches.... I do have some localized skin irritation but nothing to complain about.... It feel like I am carrying a baby again. LOL yea at 65 years old....... Eeyore

GoldenGirlOsprey responded:
YES! I have been on the patch for 2 weeks now. I have extremely bloated stomach, plus am, in general, all over my body very swollen (like my rings are suddenly impossible to take off my fingers). Probably water retention plus our bodies can't process food through our digestive systems the same as before. I have been reading about this online the past few days. Seems to be a very common effect of quitting smoking that goes away in time. But I was curious to see if anyone else found this so even using the patch, not cold turkey.

pookieouchi responded:
I quit cold turkey and had the bloating constipation problem for about 3 weeks. I started taking senekot (herbal laxative) along with a probotic and digestive enzyme and it helped immensely. Also, although uncomfortable walking helps get the bowels rolling, Hope that helps

Featuring Experts

Jonathan Foulds, PhD. is a Professor of Public Health Sciences at Penn State University, College of Medicine. After obtaining a first class honors deg...More

Helpful Tips

What are the characteristics of effective smoking cessation treatment?Expert
Many smokers who have tried unsuccessfully to quit smoking on their own start to consider seeking help to quit. Of course a quick internet ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 23 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.