Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
The flu and smoking
alamotte posted:
On Saturday, Dec 2nd I came down with the flu. I was aching all over, couldn't get comfortable, fever and all the common symptoms of the flu. It's now the 11th and while my fever is gone and I am able to eat and have no more body aches, I still am feeling tired.

NOW...prior to having the flu I have been a smoker, but since I got the flu on the 2nd I have not had one single cigarette. The other 2 people in the house smoke, but I have full out quit smoking the second that I knew that I had the flu.

I am still feeling tired, not dizzy but a little light headed, and I am still coughing. Is this because I still have the flu, or is it because my body is detoxing from smoking. I started smoking when I was 14 and I am 34 now. The doctor suggested that I stop smoking when I got the flu, now it disgusts me to even smell smoke. So I know that I am not going to ever again.

Thanks

Jonathan Foulds, PhD responded:
Well done for quitting smoking. Are you still quit, and have the coughing and light-headedness improved any?

alamotte replied to Jonathan Foulds, PhD's response:
I am actually doing A LOT better. 28 days later and I still am not smoking! The cough is gone, and the light-headiness is also gone. Still having the cravings and everything, and I constantly want to eat. Is that one of the symptoms of quitting smoking? I know fatigue is, and I am going through that.

Jonathan Foulds, PhD replied to alamotte's response:
Fantastic...I am so glad to hear that you are doing well and feeling better. Increased appetite is certainly an effect of quitting smoking. Fatigue, on the other hand, generally is not (unless as a secondary effect of difficulty staying asleep). I know lots of online guides say that fatigue is a nicotine withdrawal symptom, but it is not. Now that you are 28 days into your quit you have succeeded with the hardest part. I hope you can keep it going...and give us periodic updates.

Featuring Experts

Jonathan Foulds, PhD. is a Professor of Public Health Sciences at Penn State University, College of Medicine. After obtaining a first class honors deg...More

Helpful Tips

What are the characteristics of effective smoking cessation treatment?Expert
Many smokers who have tried unsuccessfully to quit smoking on their own start to consider seeking help to quit. Of course a quick internet ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 23 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.