Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Trying to quit for the umpteenth time
monkus posted:
Hello everyone. I don't have much to say except I want to quit smoking. I've tried this repeatedly; I exercise almost an hour every day, do not
overeat, and am still in good shape for a 59 year old. I have 2 smokes left in a box, and I don't want to buy any more. I want this to be my last day to smoke.

Jonathan Foulds, PhD responded:
I hope you are successful....write back and let us know how it goes.

lindsayfox responded:
Keep going! Don't quit the quitting now. You've worked so hard to come thus far, make something out of it.

Try alternatives if you must (patches, gums, e cigarettes, etc.) but don't buy another pack.

Some tips to lower your cravings:

- Take a ice cold shower every time you feel like smoking. This has really helped me in the past.
- Eat something super healthy.
- Keep chatting at the forums. Members will always be really helpful and share you some of their inspiring stories.

Best of luck!

thejewel2611 responded:
Hell monkus, I hope you are well & in good spirits. Did you buy a pack of smokes? I am working the plan from this web site. I picked the quit day on Feb. 15, which is the 30 days directed. I have started working out more etc. I too have quit over & over. But I feel motivated due to the fact that I am so tired of thinking about quitting every day. So following this plan I hope to quit. I hope that this time my brain wins the fight over the cravings. That is my worst. they come from every where. I am getting ready..

lindy5064 replied to Jonathan Foulds, PhD's response:
Hi Jonathan,

I have recently quit smoking. I've smoked for way too many years, But I'm concerned because I'm reading that most people are coughing up a lot after they quit. I'ts been 3 weeks for me and I'm not coughing up anything? I do have like a frog in my throat but just no cough. Will that come later?
Please answer if you can.. worried here.
Thanks so much.
Lynn

thejewel2611 replied to lindy5064's response:
Hello Lynn, I hope you are well & in good spirits. I don't know when coughing up tar will happen but usually the body will cleanse it's self. That frog you are writing about sounds like a dry unproductive cough. To liquify the mucus you may want to put your head over a bowl of hot water for 5 minutes 3-4x's a day. that will help bring it up. speak with your Dr. about what to expect-orate.

Featuring Experts

Jonathan Foulds, PhD. is a Professor of Public Health Sciences at Penn State University, College of Medicine. After obtaining a first class honors deg...More

Helpful Tips

Caffeine and smoking cessationExpert
Many visitors to this site have commented on the close association between smoking and caffeine consumption, most commonly involving ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 19 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.