Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
How long is nicotine/cotinine in your blood
newlyquit posted:
I have recently quit smoking. I am applying for a job at a corporation that does testing for the medical insurance cost. By the time I take the test it will be 42 days since my last ciggy. How likely is it that I will pass the test?

An_250682 responded:
Did you pass the test?

SergeyP responded:
Nicotine is fully withdrawn in 48 hours

Jonathan Foulds, PhD replied to SergeyP's response:
They usually test for cotinine, the main nicotine metabolite, which takes almost a week to clear for your system, so you should have a cotinine level consistent with being a non-smoker. The most important thing is to keep it that way.

An_252273 replied to Jonathan Foulds, PhD's response:
Dear Jonathan,

Have been through the discussion. Ive been a smoker for almost 15 yrs. Now, want to quit as Ive been blessed with a baby boy. I smoke 20-30 cigarettes everyday. Can I know from you specifically
- How long will it take for the nicotine to be completely out of my system, so that I can go for the Insurance Medical Test , and get qualified as a Non Smoker ?
- Does quitting smoking actually result in weight gain ? ( Am on a weight loss program )

SheriTaylar replied to An_252273's response:
I have not gained weight from quitting smoking. As a matter of fact, I lost a few pounds because I don't eat when stressed. I think everyone is different but even if you do gain a little weight, it is so much easier to lose weight than to quit smoking once again.

Featuring Experts

Jonathan Foulds, PhD. is a Professor of Public Health Sciences at Penn State University, College of Medicine. After obtaining a first class honors deg...More

Helpful Tips

What might work for those who have tried everything?Expert
Many smokers feel they have already tried everything…..cold turkey, hypnosis, patches, acupuncture…..but still find they are smoking ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 17 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.