Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
What's Happening Now
zeena21 posted:
OMG!! day 5 no cigs. after 50 years of pack a day. no help. cold turkey. i feel i'm cracking. can't stop crying and shaking. help!!

Jonathan Foulds, PhD responded:
Firstly, congratulations for getting through the first 5 days....well done. Keep in mind that you are almost through the hardest part. Nicotine withdrawal symptoms peak in the first few days and then steadily get better. It may help to try to get your mind busy with some enjoyable activity....it might be watching something funny on TV or on the internet, chatting with a non-smoking friend who is supportive of you quitting, or even just taking the dog for a walk. Always better to be active and keep your mind busy. Reducing caffeine and avoiding alcohol consumption may help. Plan to do something fun with the money you have saved...$25 could get you nice meal out. Also remember that you could reduce the severity of nicotine withdrawal by using nicotine replacement (like the patch or gum), but you will likely find that it will get easier anyway. Best of luck,,,you can do it.

zeena21 replied to Jonathan Foulds, PhD's response:
a week now, and i'm so wanting a cig still. i've been staying in bed and not eating because a cig was best after i ate. this is rough. don't know i can succeed. everybody at work smokes. i think i'm setting up for a fall. i'm scared.

zeena21 replied to zeena21's response:
2 weeks today no cigs! i'm proud of myself!! but i still have a strong craving. after 50 years smoking, i'm not surprised with a cold turkey quit. good luck to all of you guys. i heard you eat a lot when you quit and gain weight, but i can't eat because my need for a cig is so great after a meal i choose to just not eat.

Ladysweb replied to zeena21's response:
One day at a time two months today for me.
I have smoked for forty years and I used nothing to quit I just quit smoking
The craving goes away I hardly ever think about anymore.

Featuring Experts

Jonathan Foulds, PhD. is a Professor of Public Health Sciences at Penn State University, College of Medicine. After obtaining a first class honors deg...More

Helpful Tips

Caffeine and smoking cessationExpert
Many visitors to this site have commented on the close association between smoking and caffeine consumption, most commonly involving ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 19 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.