Skip to content
Quiting? How?
BiggGuy77 posted:
Want to stop smoking. I've tried the chantx. I've tried weaning myself off. I even tried cold turkey but every time started again. Don't know what else I can try. Any Ideas?

Ulyssessays responded:
I'm an advocate of cold turkey since Nicotine is driving your addiction. The sooner you get that 100% out of your system the better. The most important thing is to understand that as ex-smokers we are addicts One puff will lead you back to where you were before you stopped. You can never have another puff again. When you commit to putting out that last cig and never having another puff again - you've just won and are from that point forward a nonsmoker.

Now I know that sounds sad or depressing because we have trained ourselves to think smoking feels good and does good things for us (relaxes us, makes us feel good, eases boredom). But those are all lies we told ourselves.

I'll give you a couple quick tips that have helped me. First, put yourself in the mindset that you are "freeing" yourself from smoking. It helps deals with the withdrawals if you understand they are part of the healing process necessary to free you from these chains. They are good thing and should be welcomed. This mindset also reminds you that you aren't depriving yourself of something good. . . because in fact you are NOT depriving yourself. . . you are very much walking down a path towards absolute freedom far far away from the total control of your evil master. He is simply sending little nicotine monsters after you in order to trick you into willing returning to your addiction prison. Those cravings are the monsters trying to trick you; see them for what they are - smile and keep walking away.

Second, think about how smoking only brings you back to feeling normal again. In other words, you think you enjoy it because you have trained your brain that it needs nicotine. Once you give it the drug then you feel normal again (you call it good, but it's just normal). Guess what - nonsmokers feel that "normal" feeling you're chasing 100% of the time. They don't spending money, time, or have to deprive themselves of anything - it's their natural state of mind. Not for smokers - we only get that for 5 minutes and as soon as we're done giving our body the drug we trained it to need it starts using it up, getting rid of it, and then we get the reward of feeling off again in about 30 minutes. So you see, as a smoker you are a slave serving a vicious and unrelenting masters. Put the money, the social outcast, the health concerns, the smell aside - focus on one item and one item only. Are you going to be 100% owned and controlled by some leafs wrapped in paper? Or are you ready to put in the work to free yourself of this burden, understand you're not giving anything up but that you are working to gain freedom.

I got many of these ideas from reviewing whyquit - give that a search and look over some of the ideas. Change your mindset and you'll change you're life.

Misster replied to Ulyssessays's response:
It has been 2.5 months since I quit. I never want to go back there again! I went to sleep every night worrying that I would die. How sad! I do love the freedom, although I am still using nicorette minis, 2 mg. I am relatively active, and smoking just got in the way. Good luck to all who are trying - and if you slip, don't let that be your excuse for starting up again!

An_253016 replied to Ulyssessays's response:
I gave up smoking on October 2nd, 2001. I tried everything patch, gum, pills. Nothing worked. When I quit I didn't set out that day to quit. I was getting out of the car and lit up a cigarette, took a drag. It didn't taste right. I threw it on the ground and put it out ad three away a whole pack of cigarettes. I believe the only way to quit is to just stop. There is no magic or special crutch you can use to stop. If you stop for any other reason but the fact you want to stop. Not stop for someone else. Not stop for a medical issue. I mean you just have to be tired. I was so sick of smoking that I didn't even have a withdraw. I knew I was done. Now I hate it. I don't want to be around it. Well all I can say is good luck. Just stop you will never regret it.

12randall responded:
wish i did i am trying to stop smoking also i got patches but i am afraid to use them i have heard some bad things about them i have not tried chantex heard bad things about it so i guess we will just have to have some strong willpower i think a lot of it is mental anyway but if you come up with anything please let me know and i will do the same

moeman0705 replied to 12randall's response:
As a birthday gift to myself, I quit smoking Aug. 1st. I'm using the patch. I'm having a little difficulty with cravings. I thought they would be a lot worse than they actually are, but I also want to eat everything in the house.... Normally I would but I'm getting married next month and have a dress I'd like to be able to wear. I quit once before for 23 days. Doesn't seem like a lot but for me, a 20 year 1 pack per day or more depending, it was proof to myself that I could quit if I really wanted to. And I decided that I wanted to enjoy my life, my kids and my soon to be husband for as long as possible. Smoking took away my breath, my energy and at times my self worth. I hate feeling chained to something like I have no choice ... and I think we always have a choice! It's making a good choice that I usually don't do lol. I think the real challenge now for me is staying quit!! I try to stay busy or focused on something so that bordem doesn't set in and convince me I can smoke just 1 ... which is how I feel off the wagon last time. What a fool I was!! Anyway, I'm just trying to do something different to help myself in any way I can to stay on this path. I hope my rant made sense and helps you in your quest. Good Luck!!

Featuring Experts

Jonathan Foulds, PhD. is a Professor of Public Health Sciences at Penn State University, College of Medicine. After obtaining a first class honors deg...More

Helpful Tips

Might glucose help smokers to quit?Expert
We all know that when you stop smoking your appetite increases, and often people get a particular craving for sweet foods. It seems as ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 26 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.