Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Previous 5 year smoker
triathlete_in_progress posted:
Hello!
I'm highly curious the state of my lungs now....
I am 29 year old female and I had been a smoker for 5-6 years until 2 years ago I quit cold turkey. I am absolutely happy now!! Seriously wish I could go back 8 years and make smarter decisions.

Over the past two years I have committed myself to being hardcore fitness nut- running, cycling, strength training, swimming- to the point I am now a triathlete (something I NEVER thought possible). However, during my runs I still feel crappy....wheezing pretty bad after mile 1..tightness in the chest...etc...
So, if anyone has any idea- how much damage did I do to my lungs during the 5-6 years of smoking and how much longer till I can "breathe" during my runs?

Thanks in advance!!!

biddens47 responded:
You may want to start an inhaler for each time before you run to open up some air ways. I'm not an MD but the wider the airways are open, the better off you'll be. Your lungs will be 100% clear after 5-7 years from quitting smoking. I know that seems a long time but it's all about building them back up again and getting rid of the toxins caused by smoke. To be 100% sure, go into urgent care and tell them you have chest pain. They will take a chest x-ray and show you how good or bad they look. Insurance does not allow xrays just to see how your doing. Have to have a reason. Worth it trust me. If you go that route, let me know how it turns out.

Scott

danpismybff replied to biddens47's response:
I think that depends on If you have COPD. once damage is done it is pretty much irreversible. You can with meds, exercise, and proper breathing techniques, stop them from getting worse. If you are concerned see your doctor.Remember it's not the years smoked it's the pack years.
Lori 35 days
Lori

Featuring Experts

Jonathan Foulds, PhD. is a Professor of Public Health Sciences at Penn State University, College of Medicine. After obtaining a first class honors deg...More

Helpful Tips

What are the characteristics of effective smoking cessation treatment?Expert
Many smokers who have tried unsuccessfully to quit smoking on their own start to consider seeking help to quit. Of course a quick internet ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 23 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.