Skip to content
Deciding to quit
Katke posted:
OK - after years and years of smoking and enjoying it less and less, I have set the date of Dec 4 to officially quit. I have felt so guilty over the past year because most every one I know does not smoke so I am in a minority plus the fact that I don't like smelling like an ashtray. I am opting to not use the patch or anything. I quit once for 5 years, Cold Turkey, and had a Bloody Mary at the beach and was off smoking again. This time I will quit!! Wish me luck

rosecastillo_favio responded:
I wish you success! I have been smoke free over 2 years now..I quit cold..
Making your decision to stop is Key, which you have done..I know you will Succeed too!..
Stay strong, the urges do not last very long, they do pass.
Every day you get stronger and and the urges will dissapate over time..Your body will begin to adjust without it, just be patient and know you are making a wonderful change in your life that you are controlling..Take your life back.
all the best to you always, stay strong Katke, you can do it!

wannabeemployed responded:
Katke, here is A BIG, HUGE WISH!!!

If you quit for 5 yrs. before, you most certainly can do it again.
You were right to quit cold turkey before... it's the best way to
start "not smoking" that I know of. Now that you're smoking again you may feel as if you failed again. I had tried to quit and was successful going 'cold turkey' for 3-4 weeks prior to some surgeries, wanting to make it a forever thing. Well, that didn't happen. I had tried hypnosis, the patch, putting the butts in a jar with a little water and opening the jar to smell them. This was suggested in a book.. It was gross & didn't work. Many years later I got so sick (bronchitis &sinisitis) I couldn't smoke. I quit! I felt so sick something finally clicked in my head,,,why are you doing this to yourself?
I have been smoke free for almost 2 yrs, a cigarette, maybe one or three a week! Yes, I call that 'quitting' and have to, otherwise I will consider myself failing again. I can't think that way anymore and don't you either!! In fact I never thought I'd be able to quit this way, my thinking "It''s all or nothing". I have shocked myself and am proud of this accomplishment and my family doc is too! NEVER QUIT QUITTING!! You can do this! You will be proud of yourself as well as your doc and your friends & family. If you blew your start date of Dec. 4th, not to worry, just never quit quitting ! Better life, better health, better relationships with non-smoking friends, better you!
Katie D.

Featuring Experts

Jonathan Foulds, PhD. is a Professor of Public Health Sciences at Penn State University, College of Medicine. After obtaining a first class honors deg...More

Helpful Tips

What might work for those who have tried everything?Expert
Many smokers feel they have already tried everything…..cold turkey, hypnosis, patches, acupuncture…..but still find they are smoking ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 18 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.