Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Nicotine Urine Test and 2nd Hand Smoke
anonymous posted:
I had to take a urine test today for work and I am worried because I spent all day (13 hours) last week in a bingo hall filled with second hand smoke. I was a regular smoker quite some years ago, but this is my only exposure recently. If I fail this test I lose the job. First, what are my chances of passing if it was only 2nd hand smoke, and secondly, is it legal for them to not give me the job when I did nothing wrong? In otherwords, can I be blamed for something that I didn't actually do and lose my offer for it? Thanks for any help. It is eating at me...

extrahealthy responded:
It really depends on a number of factors like the type of drug screening, your geography, and the industry your in. Federal laws prohibit employers from using discriminatory hiring practices. According to the EEOC, the laws do not apply to smokers and employers are free to deny jobs to individuals based on a nicotine free workplace. I would check your local laws or look up any cases about such.

Hope this helps!

Featuring Experts

Jonathan Foulds, PhD. is a Professor of Public Health Sciences at Penn State University, College of Medicine. After obtaining a first class honors deg...More

Helpful Tips

What are the characteristics of effective smoking cessation treatment?Expert
Many smokers who have tried unsuccessfully to quit smoking on their own start to consider seeking help to quit. Of course a quick internet ... More
Was this Helpful?
19 of 21 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.