Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
support for giving up smoking
mendy44 posted:
I know people that quit on the patch, but like many, I am allergic to the tape. when i get an iv they use paper tape. any advice?

Jonathan Foulds, PhD responded:
The different brands have different adhesives so you may not be allergic to them all. But nicotine gum, lozenge, inhaler, nasal spray may help, and the non-nicotine Rx medicines buproion and varenicline (Chantix) have also been shown to help smokers quit.

mendy44 replied to Jonathan Foulds, PhD's response:
thanks, I tried 2 other brands from different retailers. When that failed I got a scrpt for nicotrol. It might be avialable on medicare, not for now. Instead, It being spring & all. I made my patio pretty with my potted plants (favorite pass time) and spent around 200.00 on some comfy patio furniture. I am down to 8-10 smokes a day, and atleast half those burn up in the ashtray. I gave up my fav sweets and fav beverages and now take my coffee black. IT Sounds crazy, but eating fruit instead of processed sugar, playing in dirt and chugging my black coffee for the caffeiene rather than how damn good it made my smoking taste, is working. I have smoked 34 yrs, I guess its not unreasonable to spend up to a year if that long to quit. Rome wasnt built in a day,.

Featuring Experts

Jonathan Foulds, PhD. is a Professor of Public Health Sciences at Penn State University, College of Medicine. After obtaining a first class honors deg...More

Helpful Tips

Might glucose help smokers to quit?Expert
We all know that when you stop smoking your appetite increases, and often people get a particular craving for sweet foods. It seems as ... More
Was this Helpful?
20 of 25 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.