Skip to content
Are smokers really more fun???
coconut711v posted:
I am 43 and have been smoking since my 18th birthday. Although there have been ups and downs, I would put the average at about 1 pack a day.

I smoked my last cigarette on April 5th. I have used smokeless tobacco as my cravings crutch (I have only taken a "dip" 5 times) because I find the habit distasteful and easy to not want to do again and it has worked for me so far.

Anyway...

I have been told over the last several days that I am not very much fun to be around every since I quit. I dont feel worse, in fact, I feel better about myself. I have gained some weight, but am working on fixing that. I dismissed several of these comments until yesterday when my best friend said to me that he has thought several times about getting me a pack of smokes so that I would cheer up. This was alarming because he has been my main motivator and biggest supporter on my journey towards kicking smoking.

Here's the Question:
Has anyone else experienced this? Is mild depression a symptom of nicotine withdrawl/quitting smoking? I am not going back to smoking, I am just curious if this is something that should be expected and will ease in a bit or if there may be something I need to address.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

atti_editor responded:
Hi coconut711v,

First of all, congratulations on quitting smoking! This information on nicotine withdrawal lists grouchiness, anger, stress, anxiety, and depression as some of the more common symptoms. It says that symptoms are worst during the first week and that the first month can be especially hard. There is much more information in the above link.

Best wishes,
Atti

godschild16 responded:
This is very common when quitting. Don't let anyone talk you into smoking , maybe you will need to stay away from negative people for awhille. Your health is what is most important, believe me, you don't want to end up with a smoke related illness !! Take care of yourself-83D-E03you are important!! Alot. of times people have to change the way they did things when they smoked, I can't be around smokers, I do Don't go to the places I use to smoke.. Good luck! You can do it

Featuring Experts

Jonathan Foulds, PhD. is a Professor of Public Health Sciences at Penn State University, College of Medicine. After obtaining a first class honors deg...More

Helpful Tips

What might work for those who have tried everything?Expert
Many smokers feel they have already tried everything…..cold turkey, hypnosis, patches, acupuncture…..but still find they are smoking ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 18 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.