Skip to content
Old ankle injury, pain, weakness, swelling, negative MRI
JHutch15 posted:
I injured my ankle about a year and a half ago and it's still hurting, swelling up, and it goes out occasionally.
To start from the beginning, I was playing basketball, went up for a lay-in, landed on it wrong, and rolled my ankle. Now, this was my 8th grade year and it was the first practice. I thought if I went to the doctor, they would tell me to not play for the season, (I was young and naive.) So I just ran and played through the pain. It was purple and blue for a while after, (maybe a couple of months, 2-3).
Now, a year and a half later, I'm still having problems with it. I can't walk more than maybe a mile without it starting to hurt. I went to the doctors for it, them thinking since it's such an old injury, I just need to go to PT. So I go for about 3-4 weeks and it's getting worse, it hurts more and it's swelling quite a bit.
I go back in and they suggest getting an MRI, so I do. And it comes back negative, there's nothing wrong with it. All they say is that they could see scar tissue from where I injured it the first time.
Now the doctor recommended going back to PT, but that made it worse before. And she gave me this patch to put on my ankle to take the inflammation down, I think it's called the Flector Patch.
I've looked online, (probably a bad idea), and I saw that there are some things that could be wrong with it when it doesn't show up on x-rays or MRIs.
I'm really into sports and couldn't play any this year, my freshman year, and I'm getting really tired of sitting on my butt, not being able to do what I want to do, cross country, basketball, and track/field.
Any help would be very useful and much appreciated. Thanks for reading.
Anon_22455 responded:
You mentionned going at the doctors, but did you see a general practioner or a specialist?

Keep searching for answers if it's getting worst.
JHutch15 replied to Anon_22455's response:
Just a regular doctor, but she sent me to TRA Medical Imaging and they sent her an MRI report.
I have been, but I haven't found any answers.
Anon_22455 replied to JHutch15's response:
You need to see an orthopedist. MRIs and x-rays are not the only tests that they can do.

I rolled my ankle 27 months ago, it was a severe sprain with a small talar fracture. I have had many x-rays, bone scan, CT scan, MRI, SPECT-CT, diagnostic cortisone injections. I have seen 3 orthopedists and I only found that there was cartilage flap that caused all my symptoms when I had arthroscopic surgery.

Good luck to you!
JHutch15 replied to Anon_22455's response:
Alright. Thank you!

Helpful Tips

Hydration and the HeatExpert
Keep in mind with the warmer weather upon us, that our bodies will take some time to adapt to the temperature changes. Our bodies adapt ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 35 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sports Medicine Center