Find Information About:

Drugs & Supplements

Get information and reviews on prescription drugs, over-the-counter medications, vitamins, and supplements. Search by name or medical condition.

Pill Identifier

Pill Identifier

Having trouble identifying your pills?

Enter the shape, color, or imprint of your prescription or OTC drug. Our pill identification tool will display pictures that you can compare to your pill.

Get Started

My Medicine

Save your medicine, check interactions, sign up for FDA alerts, create family profiles and more.

Get Started

WebMD Health Experts and Community

Talk to health experts and other people like you in WebMD's Communities. It's a safe forum where you can create or participate in support groups and discussions about health topics that interest you.

  • Second Opinion

    Second Opinion

    Read expert perspectives on popular health topics.

  • Community


    Connect with people like you, and get expert guidance on living a healthy life.

Got a health question? Get answers provided by leading organizations, doctors, and experts.

Get Answers

Sign up to receive WebMD's award-winning content delivered to your inbox.

Sign Up


All communities will be placed in read-only mode (you will be able to see and search for posts but not start or reply to discussions) as we conduct maintenance. We will make another announcement when posting is re-opened. Thank you for your continued support and patience, and if you have any further questions, please email

Yours in health,
WebMD Community Management

Rotator Cuff Surgery - Information needed
wia1491 posted:
Hi -- I have a friend with a rotator cuff injury. She is scheduled for surgery in 2 weeks, and the doctor has told her it will be an out-patient procedure and she does not need any in-home care or a stay in a rehab center. He said she'd be in a sling. When she said this is her right arm, she is right-handed and does not know how she will dress, bathe, cook, eat, or drive, he said, "You'll figure it out".
This is a workman's comp situation and this was the doctor they assigned to her.
She paid cash for a 2nd opinion yesterday and was told that it is a "retraction of the supra spenatus tendon", and that there is a hole clear through her tendon, with 2 of the 3 tendons detached.
She would like to know: 1) What is this surgical procedure called? 2) How is it usually handled surgically? That is, can this actually be orthroscopic surgery, and therefore performed on a same day/outpatient basis -- or not? 3) What type if follow-up care (in-hospital? Rehab? occupational therapy? PT?) is usually called for and prescribed?
4) Is it really possible to do without any follow up care and not have her should freeze up?
She is afraid she will be worse off than she is now.
Any input is appreciated as she and her lawyer are getting stonewalled by the surgeon. Thanks!
fireman00027 responded:
I had orthoscopic surgery on my right sholder,only as bad as you make it, soreness, yes, sling, yes, rehab yes,minipulation, heat, and electrial stimulation, all work well for me, but you cannot rush the rehab, it took me several weeks to feel better, and probley 6 months beore it felt good,I still use my rope pully to extend my arm and the motion gets better.I,m no spring chicken, 68 and had cronic sholder pain.

Helpful Tips

Running ShoesExpert
Remember to replace your running shoes every 300-400- miles or every 6 months. Many running related injuries are due to worn out footwear. More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 42 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sports Medicine Center