Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Leg Muscle Spasms
suegstarfire posted:
My partner who is 63/male has muscle spasms almost every night in only one leg. He has to get up every night and roll his muscle with a golf ball, stretch, etc. in the middle of the night. This disturbs his sleep every night. He did damage his leg in the 70's with a chain saw and went through the muscle. We rub it with all kinds of ointments. We hit it, massage it, do acupuncture. We have tried everything. What else can we try? He is taking calcium and magnesium and vitamins. He takes a sleep aid and he still can't get it to stop. HELP!

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
Ouch! I have experienced leg cramping a few times and it is a pain like no other!

My first thought was potassium - is he getting enough? It sounds like you have explored many options already. Has he visited a physical therapist to see if there are exercises that might alleviate the spasms?

Here is a link that might give some additional routes to explore:

Muscle cramps or spasms - There are 27 conditions associated with muscle cramps or spasms (painful), muscle twitching (painless) and weakness.

I hope he finds relief soon -

Haylen

Helpful Tips

Hydration and the HeatExpert
Keep in mind with the warmer weather upon us, that our bodies will take some time to adapt to the temperature changes. Our bodies adapt ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 33 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sports Medicine Center