Skip to content
Upper Back Pain: Is it a sprain or strain
divine76 posted:
About 2 weeks ago I was washing and drying my hair. I must've held my arm over my head too long because when I straightened I had a sharp stabbing pain in my back right under my shoulder blade. I figured I pulled a muscle or something because the pain was sharp and my arm hurt no mattered how I moved it. I couldnt even twist around or lean toward my left. After a day or so, the pain subsided and I was okay. However, today the pain returned and this time, it hurts not just when I move but even taking a deep breath hurts. I am a little puzzled and won't be able to get in to see my doc until next week. Anyone ever experience this? It feels as if someone is poking me in the back with a stick but its not like I was doing any heavy labor then or today. Thanks.

An_245527 responded:
Divine - same situation here. All times, after a few days. it goes away. Yet this time...same thing, in the shower...hurt throughout the day....now 3 days later, no pain in the day, yet after a few hours of sleep pain returns...while laying down, especially while laying on my back. What is going on? Are you now feeling better?

divine76 replied to An_245527's response:
Hi. And yes thankfully I am. But Im worried about the next time and will it be worse. I am so ready for Tuesday because I just have to get to the bottom of this. I'm not a big medicine taker but I have some aspirins just in case. Hope you feel better

Helpful Tips

Running ShoesExpert
Remember to replace your running shoes every 300-400- miles or every 6 months. Many running related injuries are due to worn out footwear. More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 40 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sports Medicine Center