Skip to content

Announcements

Exciting News for WebMD Members!

We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

What Do You Need to Do?

The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

Includes Expert Content
    After the fall, a VH1 special (Sprained Ankle)
    An_245674 posted:
    So I guess i am an overachiever when it comes to messing myself up. In the span of around a five or six year period i have managed to sprain or roll my ankle several times, Dark bruising, swollen, could not bear weight, the good stuff. I learned soon after my 24th birthday that dumb Sh!t hurts, so i stopped doing it, Now i find several years later, that when i want to get back into martial arts, my ankle (The right one) is just a sore loser. It hurts, it swells, its stiff and pissy as all hell. I cannot afford a MRI, I had an Xray six months back, i told the doctor it would be pointless considering it was a preexisting condition, he did not listen and scheduled it anyways, lo and behold no broken bone, i am wondering what i can do? I am in pain a good amount of my days, i want to approach my doctor with this but don't want to come across the wrong way OR be told something i already know and possibly have to pay for something that is pointless. I am wondering if anyone in the WebMd might have an idea what could be going on and what i could do about it, I am on medication for some other sports related injuries and as such would really rather not have to deal with more meds. I am hoping this is not too late, anybody have any ideas?

Mary Ann Wilmarth, PT, DPT, OCS responded:
    Many people who have ankle injuries, especially chronic ankle sprains, end up with instability, which results in pain and difficulty with activities. This is often due to inadequate rehabilitation for the injury. As a result the unstable joints can cause more wear and tear and this can put you in a negative cycle of pain and inflammation.

I would recommend that you see a physical therapist who can assess your ankle dysfunction and get you started on a progressive rehabilitation program. This would include strengthening, balance and proprioception (knowing where your foot is in space) exercises among other things. Your martial arts are an advanced activity for your ankles and they may not be ready for this yet, but if you are consistent with a proper exercise program, then you should be able to return to such activities.

I had a patient recently that sounds like he had similar issues to yours and he has returned to his martial arts and is doing well. Good luck!

Dr. Wilmarth

Helpful Tips

Hydration and the HeatExpert
    Keep in mind with the warmer weather upon us, that our bodies will take some time to adapt to the temperature changes. Our bodies adapt ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    26 of 36 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sports Medicine Center