Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Question about Wrist Braces
An_245766 posted:
Hi,
I'm a 29 year old male who uses the computer both for work and leisure often. Recently, a long stint on the computer at home caused me to develop wrist pain and forearm pain in my left arm. Shortly after this, both arms began to give me complications. I saw my doctor and he diagnosed me as having carpal tunnel syndrome and/or tendinitis. He told me to buy some wrist braces and wear them to bed at night to see if this helped the problem.
Sleeping with the braces on has actually caused me to injure my left wrist further. Somehow, I contorted my arm in the splint to where the left wrist felt twisted. It is almost like I had it pressed against something painfully all night. Is there a way around this with wrist braces at night? I thought the braces would give my arms time to heal, but they seem to be exasperating the problem.

Mary Ann Wilmarth, PT, DPT, OCS responded:
Hello,

I would suggest checking with your doctor or physical therapist regarding the wrist braces. There are many different types of braces and you may need some that have a bit more cushioning for the wrist for nighttime use.

In addition, I would recommend an ergonomic analysis of both your work and home computer setups. Decreasing the biomechanical stresses that occur during the day will also help speed your recovery.

Dr. Wilmarth

Helpful Tips

Running ShoesExpert
Remember to replace your running shoes every 300-400- miles or every 6 months. Many running related injuries are due to worn out footwear. More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 40 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sports Medicine Center