Skip to content
Pain in my lower leg
jamesoberlin posted:
I'm a 25 year old male and I hit the outside of my shin on a rock while hiking in a river. At first it was excruciating pain that eventually subsided (just like any time you whack your shin). Now, 11 days later, it is really beginning to bother me. I am losing sleep because of the pain. When I drive and sit at my desk it throbs. Looking at an anatomy picture i believe I did some damage to my extensor digitorum longus muscle. There is no bruising or swelling and there never was. It hurts from the middle of my lower leg all the way to my toes and is especially tender in the ankle region.

So I guess what I am wondering is do you think I tore this muscle? Is it possible that I tore a tendon? I will try some mineral ice and an Epsom salt soak when I get home today but I am wondering if there are any other remedies that you would recommend?

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
When pain is so bad that is it disrupting your sleep, it's time for a trip to the doctor. Please see a medical professional ASAP to get treatment alternatives and pain relief.

Best to you!

Haylen

Helpful Tips

Running ShoesExpert
Remember to replace your running shoes every 300-400- miles or every 6 months. Many running related injuries are due to worn out footwear. More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 40 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sports Medicine Center