Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Chipped bone in left foot
    msrytw posted:
    My 21 yr old son hurt his foot playing basketball on the 28th of May. The ER dr. said he chipped/fractured 2 bones in his foot and referred him to an ortho. specialist. The problem with that is he has no insurance and no job. The ortho. wants $250 for the initial visit (not including follow-up visits and tests. I don't have the money. My question is how long can he wear the soft cast and how extreme is it? I have tried to get help for him everywhere with no luck. We live in MD. I'm not asking about money. How damaging can it be to his foot to keep the soft cast on and how long?
    Anon_22455 responded:
    I have chipped one bone in my foot 2 1/2 years ago and it was misdiagnosed. I had surgery last summer but still have osteoarthritis in my foot. And it will never come back the way it was before the injury. I am 32 and very active. As per my orhto I will need a fusion at some point in the future. That is my experience and everybody is different.

    I urge you to do whatever it takes to see the Ortho.

    Helpful Tips

    Hydration and the HeatExpert
    Keep in mind with the warmer weather upon us, that our bodies will take some time to adapt to the temperature changes. Our bodies adapt ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    26 of 36 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Health Sports Medicine Center