Skip to content


    Attention All WebMD Community Members:

    These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

    Includes Expert Content
    Sore muscles, sore knees
    gigglegrrl posted:
    After a three week hike in the mountains of New Mexico and Colorado, my daughter has incredibly sore muscles and sore knees. She is not the athletic type and this was a Field Geology Class trip. What can we do about easing her pain, aside from ice and Advil? Should she take a daily slow walk around the block?
    Mary Ann Wilmarth, PT, DPT, OCS responded:
    It is not uncommon to have sore muscles when you have a sudden increase in activity level. Using ice is appropriate with pain and inflammation. And going for a walk is fine as long as there is no pain. However, it sounds like there could be some muscle imbalances and issues with the kneecap or patella.

    Performing some gentle stretching for the muscles of the legs can help. In addition, foam rollers are good self-care tools with similarities to the effects of massage and myofascial release. The foam rollers are not as effective as manual therapy, but they are a good option.

    Doing exercises for the hips and legs will assist with the pain and help to prevent this happening again in the future. I would recommend seeing a physical therapist for more specifics. Finally, Christopher Powers, PhD, PT, FAPTA, Associate Professor at USC, has written extensively on this topic if you would like to read any journal articles.

    Because of the anatomy and biomechanics of the knee, it is important to maintain proper balance with the muscles in the hips and legs. Good luck!

    Dr. Wilmarth

    Helpful Tips

    My Easy Fix
    I went through ALL the treatments, physical therapy, steroid injections, different shoes, "the boot"...none of it worked. Then, I had a ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 1 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Health Sports Medicine Center