Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Knee pain
hornlaw posted:
I am a 58 year old male, 5'10 1/2", 160 lbs. 33-in. waist: BMI @23.8. I watch what I eat, gave up a 38-yr smoking habit 11 mos, 2 wks ago (almost a year now...) and about 2 yrs ago began to deliberately exercise. I've never been athletic but now I want to be. First walking, then walking fast, add some jogging and work up to adding some running...in kind-of intervals. I really enjoy doing about 2 hrs worth and average about 8 miles. On a good week I'll do it 4 days. Otherwise, 2 days. I want to be able to run the whole way and get into the 5K or even 10K "habit" but I just haven't done yet what I know I need to do to get there. Sound familiar to anyone else... Here's my concern: about a month ago I noticed pain in my left knee. Kept getting worse (on that day, as I kept going) and finally got to the point that all I could do was walk with a normal gait. Not a sharp pain, just a pretty egregious pain that started out as a feeling of weakness then began hurting. I rested for 7-10 days then started back. Better. Next time I began to feel it again. My question is: do I get a referral from my internist, now, for an orthopedist or do I just give it a really long rest? Also, could inappropriate/worn-out shoes be a significant (ie. make a difference as to when I sought medical advice) contributor to this? I just do not have the experience to know what to do next... Thanks!

Helpful Tips

Ankle sprain prevention
There is a new school of thought emerging on how to prevent ankle sprains. A new training device called "The Shifter" has shown to increase ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sports Medicine Center