Skip to content

Announcements

Exciting News for WebMD Members!

We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

What Do You Need to Do?

The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

Knee pain
    hornlaw posted:
    I am a 58 year old male, 5'10 1/2", 160 lbs. 33-in. waist: BMI @23.8. I watch what I eat, gave up a 38-yr smoking habit 11 mos, 2 wks ago (almost a year now...) and about 2 yrs ago began to deliberately exercise. I've never been athletic but now I want to be. First walking, then walking fast, add some jogging and work up to adding some running...in kind-of intervals. I really enjoy doing about 2 hrs worth and average about 8 miles. On a good week I'll do it 4 days. Otherwise, 2 days. I want to be able to run the whole way and get into the 5K or even 10K "habit" but I just haven't done yet what I know I need to do to get there. Sound familiar to anyone else... Here's my concern: about a month ago I noticed pain in my left knee. Kept getting worse (on that day, as I kept going) and finally got to the point that all I could do was walk with a normal gait. Not a sharp pain, just a pretty egregious pain that started out as a feeling of weakness then began hurting. I rested for 7-10 days then started back. Better. Next time I began to feel it again. My question is: do I get a referral from my internist, now, for an orthopedist or do I just give it a really long rest? Also, could inappropriate/worn-out shoes be a significant (ie. make a difference as to when I sought medical advice) contributor to this? I just do not have the experience to know what to do next... Thanks!

Helpful Tips

Cure
    Please, check out my web page. www.walk-n-heal.com I had Plantar Fasciitis and ended up inventing an insert that cures the ailment. My ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 3 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sports Medicine Center