Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Shoulder Pain
LawsonRaider posted:
I was at work and climbed up a rack to get something off the top shelf, I know I should have gotten a ladder but thought I could go up and get the item real quick and get back down.

Anyways, on the way back down, I stepped down from the second shelf and thought the floor was closer but when I did, I felt a small pop in my right shoulder and pain for a few seconds.

It has been two days and for the most part, It hasn't bothered me much - I can ride a bike, lift my arm up over my head, rotate the arm both ways hardly any pain at all. When I put my backpack on, I did feel some small pain in the right shoulder when I reached back to put the strap on.

I am wondering if it is something that will go away or if it is worth going to the doctor about - don't want to go to the doc if it is something small.

Thanks!

Mary Ann Wilmarth, PT, DPT, OCS responded:

With any injury it is important to make sure that the integrity of any joint remains and that the muscles are balanced. This means having the proper amount of strength and flexibility, in your case, with the shoulder and shoulder blade.

If you are having pain and problems with activities of daily living, then it may be best to see a physician about this injury. With any injury it is generally better to determine any dysfunction sooner rather than later in order to prevent any further injury.

Dr. Wilmarth

Helpful Tips

Running ShoesExpert
Remember to replace your running shoes every 300-400- miles or every 6 months. Many running related injuries are due to worn out footwear. More
Was this Helpful?
22 of 39 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sports Medicine Center