Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Back of Knee Pain while stretching
Anon_22455 posted:
I am 32 y.o .female, 5'-6", 135lbs and in really good shape. I am doing kick boxing 3 hours a week and tae kwan doe 4 hours a week. For a few months now, when I am stretching trying to do a split, I feel pain in the back of my right knee, more so towards the interior of the knee. I have been talking to my trainer about this and she showed me a few stretches. They take the pain away but it always comes back and is getting worst. It is starting to limit the height when I kick with my left leg because of the pivoting and the opening of the hips required in martial arts.

I don't remember any recent injury to my knee. However, I have had 2 meniscus tear to the exterior of the right knee. The first one was when I was 15 and the second when I was 25. I had arthroscopic surgery both times to remove torn cartilage. And it heeled well both times.

Most recently though; 2 1/2 years ago I have severly sprained my ankle, caused some cartilage damage to my sub-talar joint and chipped the talus. I've arthroscopic surgery in my ankle last summer to remove a cartilage flap. I have been able to return to martial arts since but my ankle have minor motion limitations, that I'd probably wouldn't notice if I wouldn't do martial arts.

I haven't seen a doctor yet regarding this issue but I'm thinking that I might need a referral to either a physiotherapist or massage therapist, but in the mean time I am wondering if it's possible that the pain in my knee could be due to my ankle limitations?

Mary Ann Wilmarth, PT, DPT, OCS responded:
You raise some good and valid points. Any injury or dysfunction in one area can affect some other joint or tissue. In order to function on a day-to-day basis, one's body works to maintain biomechanical balance. This means that an injury in the ankle could have an effect on the knee, which is further up the kinetic chain.
I would definitely recommend seeing a physical therapist who can do a full assessment to determine the cause of your injuries and assist you in returning to your desired activities.

Dr. Wilmarth

jusim81 replied to Mary Ann Wilmarth, PT, DPT, OCS's response:
I have seen a physicain to have a referral to physio for insurance purposes and have been diagnosed as a knee sprain. I don't remember any twisting motion or impact that hurt my knee. Can one person sprain their knee without feeling right away??

Helpful Tips

Ankle sprain prevention
There is a new school of thought emerging on how to prevent ankle sprains. A new training device called "The Shifter" has shown to increase ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sports Medicine Center