Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Given up on getting better
Monkeymorgan posted:
The easiest way to do this is going to make a time line.
Spring 08- pain in right knee, x-rays good, crutches for 6 weeks, knee immobilized for 4 week, MRI good, ortho said growing pains
Summer 08- pain gone
August 08- pain in both knees
Fall 08- multiple trips to doc with no explanation for such severe and lasting pain
Feb. -09 began PT, not sure what was wrong
April 09- got orthotics for supposed flat feet and over pronation
May 09- failed out of PT
Summer 09- went to see new ortho diagnosed with Chondromalacia Patella
Spring 10- saw rhuematologist, told I had bursitis
Fall 11- ortho had no idea and I should just wait it out
Spring 12- discovered I had high arches and that my hips don't have normal ROM during karate class
I'm a 17 year old girl and have been having pain for 4 years. I have remained active in karate during this time. I have had to give up running though and I wanted to run track. E-stim, ultrasound, and ice just make things worse. I don't bother with knee braces because I don't notice a difference. I had remained hopeful up until the fall of 2011. I think it might be easier to handle if I had a firm diagnosis and hope of recovery. If anyone has any tips, ideas, experiences, or observations that would be great. I feel helpless which I can't stand. I have never heard of anyone else with such a problem which is disheartening. Anything you can suggest would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Mary Ann Wilmarth, PT, DPT, OCS responded:
One of the most important things in situations like yours is to have good hip strength as well as core strength. Appropriate hip and core strength training are key components with the rehabilitation of the knees. As with any strength training, time is also a factor. Therefore, do give it enough time and do not give up.

A physical therapist can assist you with the above-mentioned. You can go to www.moveforwardpt.com and then under Find-a-PT search for PTs specializing in orthopaedics and/or sports.

Dr. Wilmarth

Helpful Tips

Hydration and the HeatExpert
Keep in mind with the warmer weather upon us, that our bodies will take some time to adapt to the temperature changes. Our bodies adapt ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sports Medicine Center