Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Includes Expert Content
    fractured hand
    defense26 posted:
    I broke my hand (5th metacarpal, near the wrist) in a boxer-style break about 4 years ago. The bone broke straight across just above the base knobs of the bone, and the entire inside knob broke away and was angled away from the main body of the bone. I saw an orthopedic surgeon and he put me in an ulnar cast for 3 weeks, then re-x-rayed it and said I should start physical therapy, despite the bone clearly still being detached from the main body of the bone. I also had rotation in it, so the finger closes over or under my ring finger. The doctor insisted I did not need pins or surgery to fix the breaks, but I feel like I have a permanent extra joint about a third of the way up my hand towards my finger tips that cracks audibly at least once a day. Does this sound like I should have it checked again? Can (or should) the bone be re-broken and reset to heal better? It is my dominant hand, and I would prefer a few months of discomfort and limited use rather than a permanent injury that will only get more uncomfortable as I grow older.
    Mary Ann Wilmarth, PT, DPT, OCS responded:
    If you are not sure about something, then it can always be beneficial to seek a second opinion. A surgeon specializing in the care of hands would be a good person to see in this case.

    Dr. Wilmarth

    Helpful Tips

    Please, check out my web page. I had Plantar Fasciitis and ended up inventing an insert that cures the ailment. My ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 3 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Health Sports Medicine Center