Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
fractured hand
defense26 posted:
I broke my hand (5th metacarpal, near the wrist) in a boxer-style break about 4 years ago. The bone broke straight across just above the base knobs of the bone, and the entire inside knob broke away and was angled away from the main body of the bone. I saw an orthopedic surgeon and he put me in an ulnar cast for 3 weeks, then re-x-rayed it and said I should start physical therapy, despite the bone clearly still being detached from the main body of the bone. I also had rotation in it, so the finger closes over or under my ring finger. The doctor insisted I did not need pins or surgery to fix the breaks, but I feel like I have a permanent extra joint about a third of the way up my hand towards my finger tips that cracks audibly at least once a day. Does this sound like I should have it checked again? Can (or should) the bone be re-broken and reset to heal better? It is my dominant hand, and I would prefer a few months of discomfort and limited use rather than a permanent injury that will only get more uncomfortable as I grow older.

Mary Ann Wilmarth, PT, DPT, OCS responded:
If you are not sure about something, then it can always be beneficial to seek a second opinion. A surgeon specializing in the care of hands would be a good person to see in this case.

Dr. Wilmarth

Helpful Tips

My Easy Fix
I went through ALL the treatments, physical therapy, steroid injections, different shoes, "the boot"...none of it worked. Then, I had a ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sports Medicine Center