Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Ruptured planteris tendon
patsimactx posted:
When running around at the beach with my grandkiddos, I felt a pop and fell into the water, followed by pain. I could not walk on my leg. I had an MRI ordered by my primary and was diagnosed with a ruptured planteris tendon in my right lower leg. I am on crutches and the bruises have almost completely gone away. As the orthopeadic doctors have not called me back (told by 3 offices they do not treat this type of injury), and am waiting to see who will be able to treat me, I am wondering if there are any physical therapy excercises I can do in the meantime to start to re-strengthen my tendon and leg muscles. Thanks for any advice!

Mary Ann Wilmarth, PT, DPT, OCS responded:
With a plantaris muscle rupture it is important to maintain function of the calf. Initially, this means active range of motion for the ankle as tolerated. In addition, you want to make sure that you ice and elevate your leg in order to decrease any swelling that may be present.

A physical therapist can assist you with your rehabilitation for the plantaris rupture. This may include manual therapy or massage, stretching, strengthening, and balance exercises in order to get you back to optimal function.

You can go to www.moveforwardpt.com and then under Find-a-PT search for PTs specializing in orthopaedics and/or sports.

Dr. Wilmarth

Helpful Tips

Hydration and the HeatExpert
Keep in mind with the warmer weather upon us, that our bodies will take some time to adapt to the temperature changes. Our bodies adapt ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 31 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sports Medicine Center