Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Includes Expert Content
    wristlessinseattle posted:
    I have significant burning sensation in my wrists after a fall. I am also experiencing radiating pain from the wrist into the shoulder. The doctor said I have C7/T1 irritation and will go from a CT/Fluroscopy/Cortisone treatment there. I also have bicept tendonitis in my shoulder and what looks to be De Quervain's Disease in my wrists. I have no idea what to do to sort this mess out. I am currently using wrist splints, Gabapentin cream and oral 1200 mg on an uptitration. The pain specialist is not sure about the wrists and referring me to an orthopedic surgeon. This feels like an uphill battle and perhaps an acceptance of disability. I don't know what they are going to do about my wrists and I would like to know. No x-rays to date, but lots of pain. Any ideas.

    Take the Poll

    Does pain management suffer from a generalized ban (i.e. palliative usage) of Narcotics like Oxycontin?
    • Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
    • They have taken God out of healthcare
    • Narcotics are a double edged sword, leave them in the closet
    View Poll Results
    Mary Ann Wilmarth, PT, DPT, OCS responded:
    It sounds like you have a number of issues to deal with at this time. However, often they can be interrelated and a physical therapist can assist you with the above-mentioned. You can go to and then under Find-a-PT search for PTs specializing in orthopaedics and/or neurology.

    Dr. Wilmarth
    Mary Ann Wilmarth, PT, DPT, OCS responded:
    Any time that someone falls, there is a chance of more than one problem to occur. It sounds like this has happened to you. The stresses of a fall can seem to migrate depending on the biomechanics of how you fell. For example, if you fell on an outstretched arm, then the stress can travel from the wrist to the shoulder and neck.

    Both the good news and the bad news can be that everything is connected. If you start to work on the neck and upper back, this can take some of the pressure off the C7-T1 nerves, which can in turn make your wrists and arm feel better.

    It may sound complicated. However, if you see a physical therapist, then s/he can help you to sort it out and prioritize your treatment, along with the Orthopaedic surgeon, so that you can start to feel better.

    You can go to and search under Find-a-PT for the names of PTs in your area.

    Just take it one day at a time.

    Dr. Wilmarth

    wristlessinseattle replied to Mary Ann Wilmarth, PT, DPT, OCS's response:
    Good news..I went to pain specialist and he is going to do a cortisone injection in my C7/T1 Vertebrae. Also, I think my wrists are improving. I am not sure why they hurt but you could be right that it was referred pain from the Brachial Plexus Nerves. Hard to say. There was some localized pain in my right wrist but it seems to have gone away.

    There is not much talk in the literature about Stinger Burner Syndrome, but I suspect that is what I have been dealing with in part. Any thoughts on that condition?
    Mary Ann Wilmarth, PT, DPT, OCS replied to wristlessinseattle's response:
    I am glad that you are getting some treatment and that things are improving. That is good news!

    Stinger/Burner Syndrome can occur anytime there is some type of elongation between the head and the shoulder. It is frequently seen in football or wrestling, but it can also occur with any type of trauma.

    It also depends on your anatomical makeup, that is, how vertebrae are aligned, etc. There can be reasons why one person may be more susceptible than another.

    The important thing is to give it some time and also to see a physical therapist who can help you with your flexibility, strength and biomechanics to get you back to optimal functioning.

    Dr. Wilmarth

    Helpful Tips

    My Easy Fix
    I went through ALL the treatments, physical therapy, steroid injections, different shoes, "the boot"...none of it worked. Then, I had a ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 1 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Health Sports Medicine Center